March Scope Weight

John Parrish

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and picking up a March Scope. I haven't yet decided on a 50X or a 60X. I think I'd prefer the extra magnification of the 60X but the choice will likely be made by how much the scopes weigh, compared to a Leupold 45x45 Competition Scope. Can someone tell me the weights of these three scopes? Thanks

March weights

March 40x = 22.08oz
March 10x - 60x = 24.64oz

John ...

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and picking up a March Scope. I haven't yet decided on a 50X or a 60X. I think I'd prefer the extra magnification of the 60X but the choice will likely be made by how much the scopes weigh, compared to a Leupold 45x45 Competition Scope. Can someone tell me the weights of these three scopes? Thanks

Don't forget, as you go up in power, mirage is much more pronounced.

mirage with a march 50 is less than a 45 leupold and yes I have actually used both of them in competition:cool:

March scope weights

10-60x variable: 25.4 oz.

40x fixed: (599 grams) 21.12 oz.

A fixed 60x might be a little too much for outdoor benchrest shooting at 100-200 yards. 40x or 50x fixed would be more practical

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Per the original question:

Leupold Competition 45x45 is 20.32 oz (576 g)

March fixed all are 21.13 oz (599 g)

10-60x variable: 25.4 oz.

40x fixed: (599 grams) 21.12 oz.

A fixed 60x might be a little too much for outdoor benchrest shooting at 100-200 yards. 40x or 50x fixed would be more practical

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Why would the fixed 60X be too much for outdoor short-range benchrest? Mirage concerns?

John

John,
Sorry for the delayed response, but life supersedes many things,even BR Central !
I don't understand the "whys", but I "knows" as magnification goes up, one sacrifices clarity and resolution for magnification. Look through any variable power spotting scope,even the high end Swarovski or Zeiss spotters. Crank up the magnification from 20x-60x,what happens ? Uh-Huh !
As Greg said, "a 40 or 50 would be more practical". If the Hubble Space Telescope weighed a scant 21.12 oz,would you mount it on your BR rifle ?
There is a practical limit of what one needs to compete,and 60,80,or 100x are just overkill.
Maybe some of the guys that shoot the 60's will chime in and voice their opinions ?
Joel

i have a 10-60 but shoot mostly on 50 or below,nice to be able to turn it down when the mirage gets really bad

Magnification and Resolution

John,

I have both a 50x and 60x March and having used them for season I can say that I should have gone with 60x for both at all fixed ranges from 100 to 1000 yards.

I'm too pressed for time right now to go into the mirage issue but I'll try to add my comments on that tomorrow morning. In the mean time please read the article and play with the calculators linked below (note the March objectives are a true 52 mm):

http://www.twincityrodandgun.com/PDF%20files/ScopeRes-Mag1.pdf

http://www.twincityrodandgun.com/ScopeResCalc/ScopeResolution1.htm

http://www.twincityrodandgun.com/Bullet Hole Res Req/Bullet Hole Res Req.htm

I have found a little more time tonight so I'll add my comments on mirage and magnification as promised.

Whatever mirage is present is there whatever magnification you are using. Dialing down the power during bad mirage just "smoothes the truth out of it". Having more power available has made me a better shooter as I am learning to better read conditions and changes because I can see more detail in the mirage. I must admit however that when the mirage is dreadful as at afternoon relays on hot dry days, I will put in the March "Modifier Disk" which is a thin 35 mm aperture used in front of the objective - reduces the resolution (about 30%) but not the magnification - this reduces the shimmer and glint mirage effects so I can still use the higher magnification to help define the true target position and minimize the aiming error.

Magnification can be thought of as not just enlarging the image but also as reducing the field of view. Therefore, the practical limit for magnification is when the field of view is too small to contain the information (bullet holes or target features) you need to asses where to aim. For me at least, the primary benefit of high magnification is to fill the small field of view with useful info and exclude the irrelevant.

Last edited:
Back