March 40X "or" 36-55?

Ackley Improved

Here is my question....... why should/shouldn't I use a March EP 36-55X for a short range BR competition rifle?

Any guys using the 36-55X March in competition?

Should I stick with the straight 40X?

I see one big advantage with the 36-55X and thats mirage!!!

Without the $$$ being an issue, what would you pick?

Cheers

Off the March website, they list the fixed models at 20.8oz and the EP ZOOM at 22.2oz. We are talking 1.4oz here, is that enough to worry about in weight here?

Leupold 45X is 20.3oz.

So far it looks like the fixed version is favourite!!

Cheers

40x vs. variable

I have both and I prefer a straight 40x on a bag gun. Unless your using a Stolle action, you'll need a bridge scope base to get your eye relief for the variable. At least I did.
I use the variable on my unlimited and the 40x on my bag gun. If I should want more power for the 40x, the screw in eye pieces boosters and it seems to work fine.
The reason I use a variable on my rail is try to shoot straight condition when possible. I often turn the power down to a minimum and use the increased field of view to better see my far flags

Yes

On my Sporter-LV, I have carved every thing off I can in order to make weight with my 50x March. Of course, I have a 5.5 ounce tuner hanging off the barrel.

If you can make weight with a 45 Leupold, you won't have trouble with a fixed March. The variable, you got to have 2+ ounces to spare.

Of course, there is always the option of taking weight off the barrel. I have not shot anything heavier than a 76 ounce barrel in five years, with reasonably good success...........jackie

response to Woody

Woody,
My March variables are 10x60. I've had them about 18 months and are pleased with them. I do have a problem with eye relief that isn't there with a fixed power.
I live in country with near Phoenix type temperatures and the 40x's seldom get me serious mirage. I've seldom seen a reason for more magnification but if you did want it, screw in an eye piece.
I've shot with guys that have 50's and they have heat problems when I don't.
With a fixed power, I can make a 40x bigger bit a guy with a 50x can't make his smaller.
Dave

Back