Mandatory Superfeet use

And another good idea (for great aggs) put styrofoam between the bench top and the vertical pillars that support the top. OOOOOH WEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Doesn't do anything for your agg but it dampens the vibration when "sledge hammering your rest feet into the benchtop" It should be mandatory (and I will speak to Joe Biden) to turn in your hammer and get a reflex hammer from the local medical instrument supplier. Or maybe have pre-determined locations to drill and insert tapped metal pillars, w/all thread rods, and have everyone put their rest in the same place, and bolt them down. Of course we must pick a "committee of 100" to detemine which brand rest to use for the template, and require everyone to aquire this type and namebrand rest. Union made would be even more correct. "Everyone vote in the upcoming (USA Today "benchtop/rest poll"). Thank you for listening.
Heaviest Fattest Varmint
How many of Y'all have never set your rest with a hammer?

This thread is getting about as silly as can be. But I know one thing if clubs asked shooters to pay for damage to benches there would be a heck of a ruckas raised at the nerve of clubs who did this. I have watched shooters beat the heck out of because they can, not because they need to. I don't miss them when they don't return I would rather shoot then fix what some fool has destroyed just because he can.

For those of you that may think that using some sort of metal disks between your rest, or rail posts and the bench top might compromise accuracy, here are a couple of links. One is Gary Ocock's rail, that has set multiple records, and a picture of a pretty fair set of targets that he shot with it.
Visalia10-18-09fiveshotunlim017.jpg

Visalia10-18-09fiveshotunlim014.jpg

I know one thing for sure. if someone were to pound there spikes into one of my bench tops it would be there last visit to my place. on the flip side, i dont charge membership fees. I still think its in poor taste, especially when there is other positive alternatives. Lee,

BTW, I was being serious. Allowing clamping satisfies what's wanted, without doing damage to either the benchtop or the human body (lifting all that weight). Since there are other ways to achieve the same end as by clamping, it might as well be allowed.

Cat's outta' the bag!

Give it up guys; our secret is out. Yep, we got away with it for a while under the pretense we were just protecting the benchtops when we knew all along that wasn't the real reason for using Superfeet.

Yeah, I guess I better level with you. You see, when you place the sharp pins of your rest on the concrete bench and tap even lightly with a hammer, small bits of sand, concrete, moly, talcum powder, boron nitride, and other contaminants sheer off into the divots and leave your entire front rest floating in sand. As the front rest vibrates with each shot it continues grinding this abrasive into finer and finer particles which changes the harmonics of the main shaft. As this circular grinding motion continues, the entire rest rotates in ever widening circles throwing each shot farther and farther from point of aim. Groups can often be improved by pounding the right front corner of the rest between shots with a large hammer. (Note: This applies only with right twist barrels.)

Or,,, and I sure hate to tell you this,,,,but you can immediately eliminate all this and cut your aggs in half by simply using Superfeet. Who would have ever believed it? I'm sure there will soon be petitions circulating to ban Superfeet from all sanctioned competitions. Oh well,,,,

Gene Beggs

My bench likes peckers..........must be some kind of prostitute...........and could marry another bench, cause it's from Iowa....................

I don't like rules....................and the only pecker i like is mine......................

so....................to quote Red.....................

"I am a man, and i can change, if i have to, i guess...........................

Later
Dave

Keep in mind that this is not an NBRSA rule. It comes from the ranges where we go to shoot as a guest. If you don't like their rules don't go. It's your loss. Don

For those ranges which want to use superfeet only, there are some concrete resurfacing products which can bring a benchtop back to spec fairly easily.

Try a polymerized concrete topping with a name like Patchcrete or Quikcrete or make your own using a gallon of polymer (it's like Elmer's glue) and some Portland cement with your choice of sand. Most important is surface preparation, I'll suggest a good wash using dishwashing detergent and a wire brush followed by a Muriatic acid wash ($3-5.00/gallon) then rub in some polymer, let the polymer tack up, then wipe on some patching compound and trowel it smooth.

Alternative is an epoxy topcoat. Build a dam around the edges and dump the epoxy on, let it self-level. Depending on the shape of the benchtop forming can be a pita. I suggest cabinet clamps (bar clamps) to hold the dam form on (you will be cursing at this stage.) Biggest problem with this method is breaking the edges. I suggest an angle grinder.

Another option!

When shooters register for a match, just ask if they use Super Feet, If they say no,

then explain that it will be an additional fee of $10.00 for them to shoot, with the $10.00 going

to the bench repair fund!!

I have a feeling the POINT will be made!!!!

Tim

News Flash:

It's been discovered by at least one shooter that he can use a harder front bag --which is far easier to set up with the bags & rests we've got these days -- by using a softer contact between the pedestal and the bench.

Instead of turning our perception of bench-top saving devices into a problem, turn it into a potential advantage. They will then become de rigueur, even with the hangers-on.

Hey Alinwa - Somewhere along the way a range had some sort of "very hard gummy" stuff on the tops. It wouldn't chip but rather kinda crater (but not really) around the rest points. What do you reckon that stuff was - epoxy? Whatever it was it was GOOD.

Tim - maybe a hunnert...ten wouldn't be enough to discourage or repair the tops.

Rail guns are at the root of this discussion. Like Charles suggested, change the rules to allow clamping and to forbid pounding.

Another point of view...

When you shoot in a match you pay to participate. Isn't part of those funds intended to be used to maintain the range, benches included?

What's left over after match costs is little comfort to maintain target frames, bench tops, parking lots, target butts, etc. No shooter pays enough in a match fee to warrant hammering their rest into a concrete bench and the cumulative damage it does. Also, it's totally unnecessary. I run IBS matches and have a keen insight on costs and net profit. It's slim. We try to strike a balance between shooting and affordability. We charge 15 bucks for a one yardage match. There ain't no profit built into that price to fix un-needed bench damage. Don't tell me to raise the entry fee...that is a sure fire recipe for reduced participation. --Greg

Last edited:
Well, I see both sides of the arguement. I have and have used superfeet, right up until I needed a garden hose and a roll of rags to get the bench and superfeet clean enough to work. Now I use them if I remember and they won't move on the bench.

I should have my range done late this spring......hammer using rest point pounders are welcomed. I get tops made for me at 28.00 ea. Spread that out over a few years before replacement or repair....it isn't worth my hassle of policing or suppying and tracking superfeet.

JMHO
Hovis

Hey Alinwa - Somewhere along the way a range had some sort of "very hard gummy" stuff on the tops. It wouldn't chip but rather kinda crater (but not really) around the rest points. What do you reckon that stuff was - epoxy? Whatever it was it was GOOD.

My guess would be epoxy altho some of the other polymers and acrylics will produce a similarly tough finish. Again, the secret to all of the various systems lies in the surface preparation, you must get a good bond to the existing top.

al

Back