Making Bullets

D

Damon

I have an itch to try my hand at making bullets, but only have a superficial knowledge of the subject. Anyone have any tips, resources, books, etc to recommend that could get me started on educating myself?

There should be a link to discussion right here . also information in the archives.
If there,s something I can help with just ask right here.

Damon,
You need to see if you can get jackets.
john
Mims, Fl

This is more of a long term plan - just gathering info at this point. I assume jackets are hard to come by these days... Which brings me to my first question - what is the lowdown on making jackets? Is it doable reasonably (cost/time effectively) with available materials? It seems like there is a fine line between hobbyist and a small business making bullets.

Bullet Making

I have an itch to try my hand at making bullets, but only have a superficial knowledge of the subject. Anyone have any tips, resources, books, etc to recommend that could get me started on educating myself?

Damon

Go to Benchrest Central home page
Under Frequently Asked Questions

!st topic is about bullet making
The respondents there are some of our best bullet makers based on their success.

If after reading these come back here with your specific questions.
Jackets may be a problem but I think Bart of BARTS BULLETS may be selling jackets--Sierra jackets.

You need a good mentor to help you get started--that person will be invaluable as you start making bullets.

Many will help here but
Remember the information you get may be just what you payed for it.
Be cautious about computer experts who have an opinion, but may have never pulled a bullet making/press handle.

Good Luck
Do not be afraid to ask.

CLP

making

Bruno has the J4 jacket in stock, you can check his web page, here on this site.

Ist lets say starting up making bullets is not cheap.

You will need good dies. Two that I like are Detsch and Ulrich

When it comes to buying dies you pretty much get what you pay for. a good set along with a single press will set you back at least $3,000

That's for the carbide die set . Then you will need some good lube s lead wire and some jackets.
a case of jackets{J 4 run over $1000 . check Brunos web site.
Pure lead wire or wire with a tad of antimony is running abut $2.50 a pound.
The learning curve is pretty short if you have a good teacher, but you will find it actually can be fun once you make your first batch.

When it comes to buying dies you pretty much get what you pay for. a good set along with a single press will set you back at least $3,000

Jerry, Your prices are way high I don't even charge that much for three die set and three presses. Also lead 2$ per pound delivered, but I would recommend Charlies cores and not buy the squirt die, its less cost. George

There is a pretty fair thread on bullet making on Saubier.com, come to think of it, it's a forum classification all by itself. One thing that will have bearing is what caliber you want to make. .308 jackets don't seem to be available from anyone right now. I'm told that may change sometime next year, stay tuned. .224 & .243 Sierra jackets seem to be available and shoot just as well or maybe better than J4. Steel dies may be acquired from Larry Blackmon for less $$, but have some inherent problems of their own. Also, Larry does this as a hobby and the wait time can be considerable. OTOH- they are well made dies. I would also suggest getting the cores from Charlie Hood and don't bother with lead, squirt die and core cutter unless you like working from less than slave wages.

Rick

Hi George.
Glad you chimed in.
Detsch dies are quite expensive but not as expensive as Nemi Dies.
I know what I paid for mine Bob Simonson Carbide dies were not cheap either
Nemi dies were close to 3K Bobs were $1800 plus rams etc were $2400 for a set up with 3 rams.
The lead prices are on the web. One local distributor here wanted $4 a pound. I told that guy he was crazy.
Lead is running about $2 a pound then there,s the transportation. If he gets to the supershoot he may be able to get some for $2.14 a pound.

George you probably did more to help new bullet makers then anyone I've seen you work and it Excellent.

Jerry. three dies one press is just about 30% less for price you quoted, Crown metals Milwaukee lead 2 $ per lbs. delivered to my house...George

Does anyone have any experience making jackets on something like one of the Corbin machines? Can it be done to match grade tolerances at a (relatively) small scale, or is it something best left to the Bergers and Sierras of the world?

Damon, I'm set up with Corbin, both press and dies.

The dies can do match grade work. THey're probably more than good enough to make bench rest bullets. They will almost certainly wear out faster than the usual names.

Now, there was a reference to Niemi dies. Is Bill still making them? He doesn't live all that far from me, but I thought he got out of the benchrest game. This is one of those times I would love to be wrong, for sure. I like him and Brian, used to shoot with them at Dunham's Bay and such.

By the way, one of the Eubers makes bullets, and he's fairly small scale. Much better product than Sierra or Berger.

Making Bullets

I knew yours were less George That's a really fair price. I know your quality is there. Thank you for the Lead price from Crown.

Nickie NO Nemi dies are currently out of production. Seeing that your so close to those guys , it may be worth a call if that's what you want.

Those Corbin dies are ok but for serious shooting you should consider another brand, compering some of the brands to Corbin dies is like compering
Apples with oranges.
Corbin dies Do have a place in the market , Just not Benchrest
I have a set.

Ulrich dies are top quality and priced less.

Last edited:
Tried calling, no answer. It's about 2-3 hours from here, but will have to make the trip up. Like I said, I know Bill and Brian. Both good guys, and smart too. They even experimented with stuff some.

I knew Corbin wouldn't compare with Niemi or Detsch, but, still is better than some. Some say better than Sierra, well, I don't know yet. But will know.

And, CH4D pretty much got out of the bullet die business.

you didn't specify what caliber you were thinking about making.
There are two Corbins
Richard RCE and David Richard is the die maker David is more of a sales man

I would go with Georges dies if you want a great set and value

Jerry. three dies one press is just about 30% less for price you quoted, Crown metals Milwaukee lead 2 $ per lbs. delivered to my house...George

George I tried getting a price for lead wire delivered to Ca from Crown Metals, I didn't get a reply.........thought they must've gone out of business, are they still operating and how do I get in touch with them? Ian

Back