Making a Spider

Dan H

I want to make a spider for the outboard part of the spindle on my lathe. What material should I use SS or Aluminum? How thick should the material be at the collar that slides over the spindle for the appropriate material?

Thanks
Dan

I want to make a spider for the outboard part of the spindle on my lathe. What material should I use SS or Aluminum? How thick should the material be at the collar that slides over the spindle for the appropriate material?

Thanks
Dan
Aluminum, about 3/16" - 5/16" wall.

Does your H10 have the collet closer sleeve attached? I'm trying to get Rodney to see if he can drill his...may be hardened. If you can drill that collet sleeve it will give you about 3/4" more barrel length usage.

Didn't I sent you pictures?? (or did that batch bomb out too--some of these in line servers are getting picky)

I'm not sure you really need to use SS. Here is one I made for my 11" Rockwell with some steel I had laying around. The walls are 5/16". Works great so far.
Good Luck.

muzzlebrake-II023.jpg

Last edited:
Aluminum, about 3/16" - 5/16" wall.

Does your H10 have the collet closer sleeve attached? I'm trying to get Rodney to see if he can drill his...may be hardened. If you can drill that collet sleeve it will give you about 3/4" more barrel length usage.

Didn't I sent you pictures?? (or did that batch bomb out too--some of these in line servers are getting picky)

I think I got all of those pictures, I know that I got one of your spider. No, the collet sleeve isn't attached. I guess I'll have to print out the article on chambering and open up a picture at the appropriate blank.:D

I'm not sure you really need to use SS. Here is one I made for my 11" Rockwell with some steel I had laying around. The walls are 5/16". Works great so far.
Good Luck.

muzzlebrake-II023.jpg

You are right, I don't need SS, don't know why I mentioned that. If I had a chunk of steel hanging around I'd use that, but no luck there.

Thanks
Dan

Here's one I made for my South Bend 13". Threaded internally and fitted to screw on the spindle. Material was just a chunk of 2" old hydraulic rod. .300 thickness where the screws are.

img5700s.jpg

img5702y.jpg

Last edited:
Good Luck.

muzzlebrake-II023.jpg

What is the length of engagement of your spider onto the spindle?

Are the set screws well clear of the edge?

I found a machine for sale, and as near as I can determine from the photos the spindle barely extends past the drive gear. Doesn't appear to be an issue on your lathe.

On my 11 inch Rockwell... I replaced the hinge pin so I can remove the end cover...

lathecoveron-0.jpg

lathecoveroff-0.jpg

What is the length of engagement of your spider onto the spindle?

Are the set screws well clear of the edge?

I found a machine for sale, and as near as I can determine from the photos the spindle barely extends past the drive gear. Doesn't appear to be an issue on your lathe.

There is around .600 of engagement.
photobucket-1692-1334338812064.jpg

There is around .600 of engagement.
photobucket-1692-1334338812064.jpg

Are you using set screws with soft noses to lock the spider to the spindle (and its threads)? The spider in your first photo seems to show flush set screws at the spindle end.

Thanks for the new photo, too.

Are you using set screws with soft noses to lock the spider to the spindle (and its threads)? The spider in your first photo seems to show flush set screws at the spindle end.

Thanks for the new photo, too.

Yes, I use brass tipped set screws that I made. What kind of lathe do you have?

Yes, I use brass tipped set screws that I made. What kind of lathe do you have?

I found an 11 inch Rockwell that looks pretty good, although I think it might be priced a little high (asking price is $2500), but in two years of looking, this is the first one I've seen for sale so I don't have a good calibration. I have a machinist aquaintence near where the machine is located that is going to get a close up look and more photos for me.

The 11 inch Rockwells are a high quality lathe... I would pay more for one in good shape than I would for most of the 'bigger' imports...

Back