Magnetic sand?

The rules for 1000 yard lightgun mimmick the rules for 100,200 and basicaly they are identical.99% of our lightguns could compete in any class with a barrel swap to save the necessary weight.95% of our heavyguns are guys uising there lightguns in both classes.
The only reason the rules are not doubled up would be to save paper and printing costs for making up the rulebook.
The magnetic sand rule and the no velcro tape rule has nothing at all to do with any differences in the equipment.Maybe the longrange chairman will post the reasons?
Lynn

Lynn,
Perhaps you could direct us to the "no magnetic sand", and "no Velcro tape" rules. Also, if you think rule changes are desirable, perhaps you should contact your regional director, and ask him to submit them at the next BOD meeting. I believe that that is how it is done. Just out of curiosity, do you think that the rules need changing, and if so, in what way?

Someone mentioned the use of a magnet in the bag and metal in the stock to add "non-weight" to a rifle. Hogwash. Two things come to mind immediately. You can't do that without adding weight to the rifle and I have seen a refereee walk the line and lift the fore end of the rifle. If the front rest is so tight on the rest that the rest lifts, he will construe that as being a part of the rifle and then the rifle is over weight.
This was I.
If your rejection of the notion applies to PB BR, then I'll accept that my interest may be, well,, uninteresting.
I do still believe it could occur with 1Kyd BR, even in <17lb LG.

I have three 1lb tubes in the buttstock of a Williamsport legal gun(at 16.5lbs). Plenty of area in the forearm. A deep farley cup, circus of bags and stabilizer..
I could very easily make this gun pull downward with enough force that it would take two hands to seperate gun from either bag -and still make weight. And it would lift and torque less on firing, like a way heavier gun.

I haven't participated but spectated maybe a dozen IBS 1K events, and I haven't seen any lifting of guns from rests by officials. I know they could, probably missed it, but I see the after shoot weigh-in as typical proof of compliance.
As a rational person, it's hard to picture any competitors thinking it would be ok.
But as a logical person, it's hard to see every single shooter passing up any edge, if rules are weak enough to allow it. Afterall, if they 'could' do it within rule enforcement, then maybe others already are or will be..

Anyway, I'm not suggesting a problem or anything. Just interested in your thoughts on it.

Francis
There is no unlimited class in 600/1000 yard benchrest at all.We are not allowed return to battery rests or railguns.
You guys are trying to squeeze something out of the rules that simply doesn't exist.
Our lightguns use most everything exactly the same as your 10.5 pound guns do wether you want to believe that or not is up to you.99% have a 3 inch wide forend.We all use the same 6-7 most common front rests.We all use edgewood and Protektor bags both front and rear.The gun doesn't know it weighs 15-17 pounds only the competitor do.

a) A sandbag is defined as a bag with or without a pedestal,
with a leather or cloth cover, that is capable of being easily
flexed by the fingers, and contains a dry finely divided
nonmetallic substance such as, but not limited to, sand, gravel,
or grain, without additive and packed loosely enough that the
bag can be easily deformed by pressure of the fingers. The
cover of the sandbag must not be bound in such a manner to
prohibit free movement of the contents. Lubricants such as
talcum powder, Vaseline, mica or friction reducing tape of no
more than .011” total thickness may be used on the bag for
lubrication.

Boyd
Here is the rule and as you can see Velcro is more than 0.011 thick.

Lynn

Back