M16 Extractor in Rem 700 Bolts

lejarretnoir

JP Poulin
Has anyone tried installing a PT&G type M16 extractor on a Rem 700 bolt for the PPC or .308 size boltfaces?

I have one here with a botched Sako conversion that I'd like to correct. The Mini M16 type extractor width would be too narrow to cover up the milling channel.

I have not use the PT&G but I used a Tubb?? I think. I came as a kit and I did it on my jig borer. This was on a bolt that had the lip cracked off when an hot load caused a case to stick to the bolt face was pried off. Worked just fine. I wish I would have had an end mill that was the proper diameter to start so I didn't have to make multiple passes though.

I would use caution doing that conversion. Even when properly fitted, that extractor sit's right in the bolt race way. Have a bad gas leak for any reason that dismounts that extractor, and it has a straight run right at your face.

Never heard of anything bad happening because of this conversion. It is quite a common "upgrade" by a number of rifle makers with good reputations. In my case, it was a matter of doing this or buying a new bolt.

My son has a Hart 1A action That came as a .222. He wanted it rebarreled as a 6PPC, And sent the bolt off to SGY down in Texas. Speedy did a perfect job on this conversion, and there has never been a problem. At a later time, my other son was out shooting in the Arizona desert. He somehow managed to put a .222 in his .223. That meant 4 hours' in the emergency room having his eye's scraped. Had their been a Sako extractor in that bolt it, would probablyld have been hell to pay. My first thought was that converted 1A.

I thought the M16 type was a better conversion than a Sako as it's pinned in and stronger. Is the Hart 1A built different than a Rem 700?

My 1A is identical to a 700. I had a spare 700 bolt with a 308 face that dropped in & now it's a 30BR.

IMO, a major problem with either the sako or M-16 conversions is when the counter bore in not shortened to about .110" to cover ~.040 more of the case than the factory Remington counterbore. Back when the original sako balloon head PPC brass was being used, this was even more essential. I've use an M-16 converted bolt (from 222 to PPC and left hand port) since about 1980 with no problems, but "your mileage may vary."
Regards, Ron

Back