Lyman Bore Scope - Any Good ?

mrh1958

Just wanted to ask others here if they have tried or own one of the Lyman bore scopes and what they think of them

Just wanted to ask others here if they have tried or own one of the Lyman bore scopes and what they think of them
I have owned a Hawkeye over 20 years - bought a Lyman just to see for myself: it does well enough to observe how your cleaning routine is working - I rate it a, "good bang for the buck". A couple of o-rings to support and center the wand make a big difference. The pic facet isn't all bad either - not bad at all on a decent monitor, as compared to the monitor that comes as part of the kit. Biggest weakness is that it does not rotate . . . but you can figure that out! :) Sorry, it appears that I can no longer post pics . . . nor, use the smilies. :-( RG

Last edited:
Mine lasted about a year. Then the screen went blue. I've not sent it back yet.
Picture quality is so-so but it will let you see what your after.
I wouldn't buy another.

Keith

I own one, its meh. As stated previously, rotating it is a pain in the butt. I wish I had just saved the $ that I spent to put towards a Hawkeye.

Josh

Josh, here's a link to some pics and text from a couple of years ago.

Josh, it appears that I can no longer use the attachments tools here, so, I have posted a link, where you may be able to see some pics and info I posted a couple of years ago, regarding the Lyman and Hawkeye borescopes: < http://forums.bench-talk.com/post/a-gizmo-worth-the-7846077?pid=1290243413 >
Wilbur, if you see this, what happened - the text box, upon entering the cursor, now turns blue, then, if I attempt to click in a 'smiley', turns white, but does not post the icon . . . same with pics - text box turns white, cursor disappears, and nothing else happens???

Thanks for all thr replies. I had a Hawkeye a while back but had to sell it, looking for a replacement either the Lyman or maybe a used Hawkeye

Lyman

A friend bought one last week and I used it to scope a few of my barrels, it worked just fine however I have only used 1 other and it was an avation grade military device.

Something similar

For many years I used a zeiss endoscope system. I had to because things called borescopes like the hawk didn't exist. This device was and still is over the top for what I ask it to do. In the late '70's it was expensive because it was up gradeable. Because I simply couldn't afford to have it repaired if something happened to it I bought an innovative technologies borescope to take to the loading bench. I recently compared it with the lyman and my visual assessment is that they were very similar in the image quality. i.e. contrast and resolution. Long term reliability will be the determining factor.

It's OK

just like the guys are saying. What I use mine for is letting people see what their bbl looks like. The Hawkeye is to fragile (valuable) to let just anybody run it. The Lyman is great in that respect. You can see if the throat is shot out and stuff like that. But the Hawkeye is better in seeing how a fresh throat should look after reaming the chamber.

Richard

Spend your money, take your chances

I bought one a year ago. I wanted to be able to take a look in the barrels before I took them out of the lathe. (I have to almost stand on my head to use my Hawkeye in the lathe) It was clear enough for my purposes but it only lasted two days and 1 use. The second use was when it failed. I called Lyman customer support and they wanted me to pay for shipping both ways.ways. I talked to the product manager at the shot show a few weeks later. He didn't seem to think that me paying for shipping was a big deal. I mentioned that it was only 2 days old and that if the shipping cost was no big deal, why didn't Lyman cover it? I was told that it was their policy for all retail products! I argued that the policy would be detrimental to repeat sales. He finally agreed to pay for the shipping from Lyman back to me. The thing is currently stored somewhere under a workbench. I'm not bitter, just a little smarter now.

Earl

Cheap Chinese Borescope

Just an FYI

There is a cheap but functional digital fiber optic camera available on Amazon for $17 (Prime/delivered). The camera is 5.5mm in diameter (.217"), has a light, the cable is ~10 ft., and it can be used with an Android based phone or a PC/USB. (No monitor or screen included.) It's a low-end unit and does not compare to a Hawkeye, but for basic barrel inspection at a very low cost it's a deal. Search "digital fiber optic camera" or "USB Endoscope".

Another source

Just an FYI

There is a cheap but functional digital fiber optic camera available on Amazon for $17 (Prime/delivered). The camera is 5.5mm in diameter (.217"), has a light, the cable is ~10 ft., and it can be used with an Android based phone or a PC/USB. (No monitor or screen included.) It's a low-end unit and does not compare to a Hawkeye, but for basic barrel inspection at a very low cost it's a deal. Search "digital fiber optic camera" or "USB Endoscope".

I got one of those from Bangood.com. I think it was about 12 bucks or so. No application was included with mine but It worked with an application called "Yet Another Web Cam." (free on the net) It is very flexible right up to the last 5/8 of an inch. It will indeed fit down a 6 mm barrel. The cord was about 10 ft long and has a control for light intensity at the computer end. I can see the chamber very well but looking down the barrel is not as good as I was expecting. Perhaps I should not have expected more from a 12 dollar item. Since I wanted it to use at the lathe, and the computer is at the other end of the shop, I chose not to use it. I was soon to find it's real value. My son broke off a sparkplug while changing them (Mechanically declined?) when he finally got the base of the plug out, the electrode was missing. We looked inside the cylinder and there it was! we Fished with magnets and some "adhesive on a wire." The scope verified that we had cleaned the junk out of the cylinder. I have also used it while fishing wires inside a wall. Neither of these uses was the reason that I bought the thing but are the best reason that I can think of to keep it.

Earl

Hawkeye uses polished and doped glass rods instead of older equipment that used a whole series of lenses held inside the tube at very critical distances.

By doping the rod the speed of light in the material is altered allowing it to act as a lens.

It is no longer a uniform glass rod.

It allowed the price to drop from the many thousands range to the less than $1,000 range for a Hawkeye.

For lower resolution there are also games that can be played using a bundle of optical fibers.
The resolution is limited by the diameter of the fibers used to build the bundle.

Just an FYI

Is an Endoscope what they stuck up my butt for a colonoscopy ?

Is an Endoscope what they stuck up my butt for a colonoscopy ?

YEP !!
And which instrument would you prefer the doctor to use-

A $5000 endoscope that is of optical/surgical quality
OR
A $10 - $200 Chinese piece of CHIT

My adjustable focus Gradient Lens Slimline Bore Scope w/ 90 degree adjustable focus eyepiece adapter has served me well for the past 25+ years.

Last edited:
YEP !!
And which instrument would you prefer the doctor to use-

A $5000 endoscope that is of optical/surgical quality
OR
A $10 - $200 Chinese piece of CHIT

My adjustable focus Gradient Lens Slimline Bore Scope w/ 90 degree adjustable focus eyepiece adapter has served me well for the past 25+ years.

I will be sure to call you next time.

Mort

Back