LTR not feeding consistently...why?

robertb

This is somewhat of an amateur question but thought I would ask anyway. I have a Rem 700 LTR and it refuses to feed the 2nd shell in the mag. The bolt wants to ride over the case head and catch the shell in the side and bind up. I have replaced the magazine which did not change the issue. What other issues could be causing this? Could it be the spring?

If it is the spring, how hard is it to replace? It looks like there is a trick to removing the spring from the bottom of the BDL floorplate. With the floorplate being pot metal, my concern is bending the aluminum points that hold the spring in place. Pictures would be some help. Thanks

A forged Rem S/S follower that come in 40XB repeaters can be shaped compared to the stamped sheetmetal follower that came in your gun.
Remove the magazine box spring by inserting a common pocket screw driver into the spring lower bend at floorplate level & slide the spring off from underneath the 4 tabs in the floorplate.
Bend the top 7 bottom spring legs outward until both legs are parallel with each other & reinsert the spring into the floorplate.
Presto-a properly fed Remington!!

This is a .308. Dan, Thanks for the info. I will give this a shot. I have a new spring ready to be installed but was planning on using the same follower. This follower is different than the follower in my ADL in that the ADL follower looks to be shiny and stamped where as this follower looks to be aluminum and maybe milled? Anyway, thanks for the input, I will give you suggestion a try. I can't stand a gun that won't feed/extract properly.

BTW, Dan what did you mean by this: "Bend the top 7 bottom spring legs outward until both legs are parallel with each other"?

Last edited:
Back