Ltc Robert Howard passes away

H

hecksf

COL Robert Howard passes away

Bob Howard Passed away a few days ago.
Col Howard was the most decorated soldier of the Vietnam War having worked his way up from Private to Ltc.
Bob was recommended for the MOH on 3 separate occasions for 3 different actions of heroism.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/25/us/25howard.html

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brad-w...sing-most-decorated-modern-war-hero-colonel-r

He was a Sergeant First Class (E-7) in 1968 when he conducted the operations for which he won the Medal. As a result of this and his skill of leadership. He was given a direct commission to Lt.

He was originally from Alabama but had been living in Texas for quite a while.

I first saw him at Camp McCall in 1978 and he was as hard as woodpecker lips. As the OIC of Phase Training of Camp McCall he would tell guys "I can't do this for you. You have to do it yourself. But I can do it with you." And he would regularly participate in the individual training activities such as timed ruck sac marches and land navigation courses.
He even had the remnants of a dramatic scar across the left side of his face which added to his larger than life presence.

Later in life along with a Special Forces NCO he was charged with misuse of an official government passport for his involvement in an operation intended to confirm the presence of american POW's in SE Asia. He just wasn't afraid to do the right thing.

Ted

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel compelled to add that Colonel Howard was a full Colonel as noted by Brian Williams.

We are diminished.

He was a Sergeant First Class (E-7) in 1968 when he conducted the operations for which he won the Medal.

The Medal, as in the Medal of Honor, isn't "won". It is awarded.

An important distinction, and worthy of note. And I bet Colonel Howard would be nodding his head at that comment from the peanut gallery.

We are diminished.

RIP sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
colonel Howard

Yes Very Few MUSTANGS left'
That's what they call oficers who came from the ranks.
He was a true Leader . Leading By Example'

Colonel Howard is indeed a great American Hero and a distinguished Leader of the best fighting men throughout the entire world.

Last edited:
I'd meant to reply last night but couldn't think of the proper words,,,I still can't.

Men like this and my own Father are the reason we can say what we please in today's world.

My nephew dropped by yesterday, headed back to his first shipboard assignment, he is following the family tradition. I hope to see him make command rank and have his own ship one day.
His sister's husband, a fine fellow and avid shooter, is home for awhile from postings from Afghanistan to Africa, he's been on the job since before 911. He has some photos he took of lions and such on his last leave in Africa, I'll have him email them later on.

Many don't realise the stress that overseas duty can put on a family, and we should remember that the family is often all that keeps these men going.
So take a moment to ponder that, and write a letter or send an email to any serving kin out there watching over you and yours 24/7.

There is a lot of $### talk about being a "Steely eyed jungle killers" but I would say that Bob Howard was one of the real ones. I put him in that league of SF warriors along with Dick Medows and 10 or 12 others I have seen or met or stood near for a few brief seconds plus another 10 or so I didn't get to be around such as Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, and Larry Thorne.
Also some that are serving today.

We have to realize that the actions Bob performed to be awarded the medal were repeated over and over again. He was nominated for 3 different actions. Not 3 times for the same action.

But in most ways he was just like a lot of other guys who just wanted to be really, really good at what he did.

Plus he was what we call a Stud.

This link has a nice video and some good pictures of him when he was younger. By the time I got to see him he was about 40 and then again in his late 60's.

http://rlhtribute.com/

Ted

Back