Lt 31

Gene DeLoney

Been hearing about a few shooters using LT 31 (LT32 & Lt30) blend with good results.
So I blended up 2 lbs. and gave it try.
27.5 gr. with Berger Columns shows promise.
Just wondering if any one else that has tried this has had success and any do's or don'ts
recommendations.
Gene

Been hearing about a few shooters using LT 31 (LT32 & Lt30) blend with good results.
So I blended up 2 lbs. and gave it try.
27.5 gr. with Berger Columns shows promise.
Just wondering if any one else that has tried this has had success and any do's or don'ts
recommendations.
Gene

Gene, we used to mix 130 and 133 in an attempt to get 132, no surprise it loaded at about 28 grns for 3400.

One thing I wish I had done was not mix it, but throw 14 grns of 130 and 14 grns of 133 on top.i didn't own a powder measure that would go that low, so I never got around to it.

That, and they stopped importing 130. So it was a moot point.

Besid s the retardant, is there any difference in LT30 and LT32?

Last edited:
Gene, we used to mix 130 and 133 in an attempt to get 132, no surprise it loaded at about 28 grns for 3400.

One thing I wish I had done was not mix it, but throw 14 grns of 130 and 14 grns of 133 on top.i didn't own a powder measure that would go that low, so I never got around to it.

Just spoke to Lou Murdica and the answer is no.....grain size is the same only retardant is applied to LT30 to make LT32.
He also loads duplex with Lt30 first and Lt32 on top as you were suggesting with the Vit 130 & 133.

Jackie. They still import N130. It just wasn't around for a while, but they started doing it last year. I didn't know if you knew it or not.

Last edited:
Jackie. They still import N130. It just wasn't around for a while, but they started doing it last year. I didn't know if you knew it or not.

I haven't used 130 in years. I had a couple of pounds left back when I first started shooting a 30BR. 4198 was so much easier to keep in tune, so I gave that couple of pounds away.

Where have you seen 130? I have kept a non critical eye out for a few yrs for it and understood it was no more. My 30br prefers it

Duplex Loads

Just spoke to Lou Murdica and the answer is no.....grain size is the same only retardant is applied to LT30 to make LT32.
He also loads duplex with Lt30 first and Lt32 on top as you were suggesting with the Vit 130 & 133.

NOW THIS IS WILD............ I`ve seen duplex loads used in BP long range rifles..... but never thought it would apply to smokeless powder.....
I`d like to know if the benefit are greater with duplex loads, compared to what can be done with a tuner.....????
Can anyone answer .................????
bill

Dick Casull also loaded duplex, and even triplex smokeless loads in his early 454's. The latter was comprised of Bullseye, Unique, and 2400. He dropped all that when H110 & W296 were released.

As for the LT's, I'll have to keep 31 in mind. Plain 32 has shot well for me but it's always fun to tinker.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I've been shooting LT-31 in most of my matches since mid-summer year and twice this year in Phoenix. I tried some duplex loads during the Nats last year in St Louis but decided that stacking the errors of two powder measures wasn't worth the risk.

I started the 200's Sunday at the Cactus with a strategy to find the tune and stay on it. Went to line with 2 and 3 loads for all 10 targets. The day started at 68 degrees and the 27.1 load got the nod for a .412 start. As the day warmed, I found the lower charges worked a little better and I finished the LV200 switching back and forth between 26.8 and 26.7 grains (temps from 88 to 95 degrees as recorded at the bench in the afternoon). 26.7 shot very small but wasn't very tolerant of the brisk afternoon winds. 26.8 punch through the breezy stuff better. Every load was thrown with the Chargemaster, but the loads correspond to my previous experiences with a Jones measure... 49-3/4 down to 49 clicks covered a 26 degree temperature spread.

Rod

I've been shooting LT-31 in most of my matches since mid-summer year and twice this year in Phoenix. I tried some duplex loads during the Nats last year in St Louis but decided that stacking the errors of two powder measures wasn't worth the risk.

I started the 200's Sunday at the Cactus with a strategy to find the tune and stay on it. Went to line with 2 and 3 loads for all 10 targets. The day started at 68 degrees and the 27.1 load got the nod for a .412 start. As the day warmed, I found the lower charges worked a little better and I finished the LV200 switching back and forth between 26.8 and 26.7 grains (temps from 88 to 95 degrees as recorded at the bench in the afternoon). 26.7 shot very small but wasn't very tolerant of the brisk afternoon winds. 26.8 punch through the breezy stuff better. Every load was thrown with the Chargemaster, but the loads correspond to my previous experiences with a Jones measure... 49-3/4 down to 49 clicks covered a 26 degree temperature spread.

Rod

Hi Rod,
I load a little hotter at 27.4 to 27.6. I settled on the 27.4 (50.0 on the Harrel) load for the Cactus.
HV 200 groups were .441, .190 ( small group for the yardage ) .539, .429 and then the wheels came off with a 1.140 trying to shoot a complete reversal. I am not a fast shooter so I do get caught every so often......
Gene

The nodes with LT31 seem to run about .4-.5 grains apart... about 26.7, 27.1, 27.5, 27.9, 28.3 for my barrels. The Cactus was the first time I've went below the 27.1-27.3 nodes that have always shot with good stability. I found the lowest node (below 26.9) by accident at the Cactus when I was fireforming some new brass. Friday's testing showed a couple five shot groups of 26.5 in a raw .220 case in the zero's and I re-tried it with a fully sized case and it still worked. I tested it some more during the HV and LV 200's and it seemed pretty wind sensitive. Dotted up when it was calm, but showed about twice the wind drift of the 26.8 load. I believe Tom Evans (8th in the HV Grand) was shooting the 26.5 load for his .1822 agg at HV100. Higher nodes seem to be shoot tighter groups, but also seem to be very sensitive to something and pitch a shot occasionally that would destroy an agg. At 28.6, I could get 2 or 3 firings at most from the brass before the primer pockets became too loose. No hard bolt lift at all, just stretched brass.

Rod

Back