lr308?

G

generalist

What do you all think about me using this for ftr?

Lr308 gas gun

308 win
Kreiger 20" tube with 12 twist
Monarch 6-24x50 optic with fine crosshair reticle

Holds 0.5 moa now at 100yds with 150-168 gr bullets.

Not tried heavier or ligghter yet.

Thx!

Lr308

Can you load it to stay supersonic at 1,000 yds? - nhk

You can have a lot of fun shooting F-class to 600 yards, these matches are called midrange, matches at 800, 900, and 1,000 yards are called long range. The rig would be able to hit the paper for midrange matches without a problem but the longrange matches may be a problem if you are shooting close to sea level. The reasons are stated below.

I think you would have some difficulty reaching 1,000 yards with a 20 inch AR. The 20 inch barrel will lose enough muzzle velocity that you will probably be subsonic before reaching the target. There are people shooting 20 inch bolt guns to 1,000 yards but the loads they are using are quite stout and your AR may not be able to handle those loads. All of the above is bunk if you are shooting at elevations well above sea level.

The way to 1,000 yards for you, if interested, might be to buy some 155 Lapua Scenars as they have a BC that is very close to the 175 g Sierra Match King and can be pushed faster. If it were a bolt gun I would also say get a 20 MOA scope base, but that does not work for an AR without significant gunsmithing, I believe you can get rings that will work in place of the 20 MOA base. Without the 20 MOA base or rings your scope probably does not have enough elevation to get to 1,000.

I know I just dumped a fair amount of info on you and you may be confused, maybe you should ignore it all and just start shooting midrange and if you have fun then think about reaching 1,000 yards. You can have a lot of fun and learn some sound skills shooting midrange F-class.

wade

Take the gun as is, with the best load you have thus far, and go find a 500-600yd mid-range F-Class match and have some fun.

Will it be competitive? Depends on who is there and what the conditions are like ;) For starters I'd say worry more about competing against yourself, trying to do better each time you go out and not make the same mistakes too often if possible.

If you look around a bit there are some places that make 20 moa and similar rails that fit on top of a flat-top AR, with the added bonus of they usually allow mounting the scope further forward which usually helps most folks find a little more comfortable position for shooting prone from a bipod.

These guns will respond (up to a point) to better ammo; at a recent match we had a new shooter with a DPMS 24" AR10. He only had 15 rds or so of 'good' ammo which he wisely saved for the 600yd line. His scores there were better than at 300 or 500! I've also seen a fellow use a similar rig with good ammo end up third behind two F/Open shooters in a state 600yd match. So first off just get the gun and yourself to match or three and get a feel for the format. Later some more purpose built long-range ammo will probably help you move to the next level. I'd probably say go with a little heavier bullet like a S175MK or B185BT, as I'm not sure you'll be able to get enough velocity out of a 20" tube to make the 155gr bullets really sing - but I could be wrong.

HTH,

Monte

Back