Lot Testing Questions

JimReed1948

1. How many rounds of a particular lot do you usually use when testing?

2. Do you use a chronograph?

3. Is there a place to purchase just enough rounds for testing or is just individual boxs of several different lots purchased for testing?

4. Do you use a weather meter similar to the Kestrel 4250 during the testing? (This meter shows the major weather items that would need to be monitored for testing or a match.)

I would also appreciate any additional tips.

Last edited:
Wow this is surprising. No one here test lots of ammunition and then buys as much as they can of the lot that shoots best in their rifle?

Blood,
Buy youself 4 to five lots of ammo (at least 2 boxes each) and then test. Shoot 5 shot groups with each (more than one or two) and then a target with 25 bulls. When you find the lot that works best for your guns then buy. No one that I know sells just a few rounds for testing. Oh, it's the weekend and most people are somewhere shooting or doing honey do's, most likeky why you haven't gotten any replies.

Tell us what you have for a Rifle and Equipment. This might have some bearing on the advice one would render.

Tell us what you have for a Rifle and Equipment. This might have some bearing on the advice one would render.

40X Shilen Rachete, w/tuner, Hall firing pin, Robertson stock, Weaver T36 (10.4 lbs)
Sinclair front rest with Papas top, large Edgewood rear bag.

I used the Hopewell method when setting up the tuner. I first set it up at 25 yards on a day with very little wind. I then moved the target out to 50 yards and fine tuned it there.

Blood,
Buy youself 4 to five lots of ammo (at least 2 boxes each) and then test. Shoot 5 shot groups with each (more than one or two) and then a target with 25 bulls. When you find the lot that works best for your guns then buy. No one that I know sells just a few rounds for testing. Oh, it's the weekend and most people are somewhere shooting or doing honey do's, most likeky why you haven't gotten any replies.

Do you chrono your test loads?

Back