Looking to turn case necks with a power tool

Joel S.

It's been 11 years since I have gotten a new barrel, but the little brown truck is to change that tomorrow. 2 of the 3 barrels have tight neck chambers and I need to turn necks. I have the necessary tools to do it by hand, but prefer power. Years ago I had access to a small lathe at Stoney Point Products, but those days are gone. Are there any chordless drills that can be put in a vice and held at 150-200 rpm? Other ideas without breaking the bank? Thanks to all, Joel

do yourself a favor.......... set up neck turner in drill press..........hold brass with forester holder

A power screw driver with a K&M or other case holder chucked up will do fine.

A variable speed drill is OK, but is hard to keep it slow enough.

Power Screw Driver

I neck turn in a drill press using Sinclair Case holder and their turner. It's simple, steady and very accurate if you line things up properly and clamp them to the drill press table. If you have to turn by using hand tools I recommend a Bosch 12V power screw driver; Litheon Battery powered. I bought one for fathers day 6 years ago and it's one of the best tools I ever purchased; about $100 at Lowe's. I power my Wilson Case trimmer with it and also use it in annealing my brass. Batteries have a long life and very quick recharge time.
John Kruzan

Drill press

do yourself a favor.......... set up neck turner in drill press..........hold brass with forester holder

Got the table top(Cheap) drill press and the forester holder. Tried this set up years ago. Drill press turns too fast with belt on slowest pulleys.. Is there an easy
way to slow the RPM's on the press?

Glenn

Got the table top(Cheap) drill press and the forester holder. Tried this set up years ago. Drill press turns too fast with belt on slowest pulleys.. Is there an easy
way to slow the RPM's on the press?

Glenn

speed control on motor

Don't know how much you are willing to spend but 21st Century tools makes what you want it $249.99 its a lathe. I have one of there priming tools and it does a great job.

Joe Salt

You need multiples if you buy craftsman. My newest li ion turns 2 cases before being drained. Now i remember why i got a case lathe.

I use my electric drill & use a router speed control to cut down the rpm's. They can be had on Ebay for around $20.

The jaws on Lee's 3 jaw chuck were like Piranhas teeth on my brass. Just ate the heck out of it ... Sent it back. :)

I wondered about that. Much of Lee's stuff has fairly crude finishing, but it's inexpensive. I suppose one could dress up the sharp edges with jeweler's files and polish everything, but that's a lot of work. Does it slip and tear things up, or is it the clamping itself that bungs it up?

I use Lee's shellholders that screw onto to the Lee locking stud that comes with their little case trimmer cutter. These cannot tear up the brass, but have a less than 100% perfect self-centering compared to a 3-jaw.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Back