Looking for owner of this National Champion Benchrest Buckle

There's no doubt in my mind, at that time, the .750 jacket was more accurate than the .825's. Not always smaller aggs but smaller groups. Wind flags were crude compared to what we have today. That was about the time the game moved to 65-66's on the long jacket. I believe Lester was one of the first to go to a 1-13.5 twist in the mid 80's with the long jacket. I always liked the Sierra 810 jacket. I still have several thousand stashed from '83 Easy to make good bullets on those jackets.

Maybe we need to go back shorter. This year I bought several thousand of Lowells 65/800 Sierras and they are the easiest to shoot I ever shot. Shoot good at 200 also. At the IBS I shot a 186 at 200 and at Holton I shot a 226 at 200. That's pretty good for a blind man who can only see the big square to shoot at now!

I'm shooting them in 1:14 Kriegers and Bartleins.

Edit- I've still got a couple of hundred of Wartsons 65/750's and a Bartlein 1:14.3. I may try them this Winter!

Last edited:
I dug around and found a few of the bullets that Jef gave me about 10 years ago. He said that these are the same as those with which he did most of his winning. They are 63 grain made on Rorschach dies and featured a .750 jacket. Let me add that I tried them in a couple of barrels and they were exceptional. I believe Jef favored a 15 twist barrel. Good shooting...James PS- Jef also told me than Rorschach told him they were 7 ogive and he took him at his word and never had them checked further.

Attachments

• 2014-10-23 03.jpg
    2014-10-23 03.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
I dug around and found a few of the bullets that Jef gave me about 10 years ago. He said that these are the same as those with which he did most of his winning. They are 63 grain made on Rorschach dies and featured a .750 jacket. Let me add that I tried them in a couple of barrels and they were exceptional. I believe Jef favored a 15 twist barrel. Good shooting...James

But do they look like a 6 nose? I can't tell from the picture. I have some 5/9 nose Connaway made for me and they look like little wadcutters with the 5 point.

Supposedly???Jef's early 6's were made on a Sherman die.

Edit-James, I'm pretty sure we are talking about two different situations (dies).

Last edited:
Back