Looking for owner of this National Champion Benchrest Buckle

This is posted on Greybeard and when I pulled it up - it is a Oval buckle with the Following:

National Championship
NBRSA
80-81-82

Jeff

Jeff Fowler ???

One thing of interest to bullet makers. Jef once told me he won most of his wood shooting 6-ogive bullets?

Wish I knew where that die went! No, the SC guy didn't get it, neither did S & T.

When I asked about his equipment, Jef related that he shot 63 gr. flatbase bullets made on .750 jackets. He won those three championships using the same McMillan barrel. He said that he had ~ 12,000 rounds on it after the third championship. Clay Spencer asked if he could buy it, but Jef gave it to him instead. Clay sawed the barrel in half to see what magic it had. Clay said that there were no lands for several inches and the throat area was terrible......but it continued to shoot. I know that many of you will doubt this account, but it is what Jef told me about 2 or three years before his death. James

Are we a bunch of wossies or what? We can't get a barrel to shoot after 600 or so rounds, we sometimes refresh the throat at 300 rounds?? We must be a bunch of spoiled brats.........Dunno!!

George U tells me that magic 6-ogive die may still be around???

Jerry- you reckon if somebody stepped back in time and got the bullets and powder and brass and rifle and rest and dies and flags and whatever else out of jef's garage they could teleport back to the present time and get even a top 25 at the super shoot or nationals?

Jerry- you reckon if somebody stepped back in time and got the bullets and powder and brass and rifle and rest and dies and flags and whatever else out of jef's garage they could teleport back to the present time and get even a top 25 at the super shoot or nationals?

Or less a 0.13 agg, of which there were two in one agg of our recent nationals (Butgen & Buckys)

Cause ive got a couple of grapefruits from back then left over and a collection of vintage BR rigs and i dont think even on modern rests i could agg like i can with barts bullets/bat actions and krieger barrels in scarbrough stocks.

If memory serves me right Jef used 4198 as he found a exceptionally good lot---he was the "Tony B" of the late 70's and early 80's --if Jef was shooting he was the one you had to beat

Jim

If memory serves me right Jef used 4198 as he found a exceptionally good lot---he was the "Tony B" of the late 70's and early 80's --if Jef was shooting he was the one you had to beat

Jim

In later years Jef used 2015BR. He gave me a 1# sample one time.

Jef and Geraci used a hot lot of 4198. Along with a lot of brass as they pushed it hard. I think I still have a pound or two of it here. I tried to hoard it up and start a bidding war but couldn't find enough of that lot#. I saw, bought or inventoried everything Jef had and I never saw any 6 ogive die. Jef and I talked often and we agreed 62 gr. bullets would shoot smaller groups. That's what he was shooting during that hot streak.

Dave

Jef and Geraci used a hot lot of 4198. Along with a lot of brass as they pushed it hard. I think I still have a pound or two of it here. I tried to hoard it up and start a bidding war but couldn't find enough of that lot#. I saw, bought or inventoried everything Jef had and I never saw any 6 ogive die. Jef and I talked often and we agreed 62 gr. bullets would shoot smaller groups. That's what he was shooting during that hot streak.

Dave

GU said he had that die from about 2002 to 2005. It was a Ross Sherman die Jef got from Doc Nadler then it went from GU to Geraci, then to Broughton, then to someone in Australia and it may be back in the US now??? All I know about the "6-nose die" myself is Jef kept promising to make me some but never got around to is.

Jef and Don must have been using about 28.5 grains? Probably about 3575? And we think we are fast now!!!

What would that have been jacket wise, a 750 or 790 and about zero freebore?

Jerry

.750 jackets. Looking at the cast of characters that die has a few stories to tell.

Dave, now I'm wondering the twist they might have used, 15. 15.5?? I had a 15.5 Hart and it took Watsons 65g/750's to get it to shoot at 100, never did shoot at 200.
The 62g may have been the secret there?

There's no doubt in my mind, at that time, the .750 jacket was more accurate than the .825's. Not always smaller aggs but smaller groups. Wind flags were crude compared to what we have today. That was about the time the game moved to 65-66's on the long jacket. I believe Lester was one of the first to go to a 1-13.5 twist in the mid 80's with the long jacket. I always liked the Sierra 810 jacket. I still have several thousand stashed from '83 Easy to make good bullets on those jackets.

Back