Looking for a Winchester Model 52 barrel

J

jmhibbitts1

Hi, I this is my first post on your impressive forum. I purchased a Winchester 52 with a bull barrel this weekend. The previous owner cut the barrel length down to 18". The muzzle wasn't recrowned and the face is not refinished.
Does anyone on this forum have a Winchester 52 barrel take-off from a previous re-barrel job that they'd be willing to sell?
Thanks for any help,
John Hibbitts

Hi John, Is there a particular reason you want a full length bull barrel? A good smith can crown the barrel you have now for not to much in green stamps. You might be surprised at the results. I have a 52c bull that was shortened to 19" or so and properly crowned ( I know heresy), nice balance and is a tack driver out to 100yds. Has been residing in a Silhouette configuration for the last 17 or so years.For silhouette the rig has to weight in under 10lbs 2oz in heavy rifle. Has been used for br also gave up nothing to any of my other other rigs. Personal opinion, unless you are trying to get back to oem configuration, might as well just go with a new barrel. I think funds would be better spent this way.

If recrowning, slug 1st...

If you decide to just recrown, have the barrel slugged, maybe you will find a tight spot somewhere near the end. Have the barrel cut and crowned there.
You might be very happy with the results.

I don't care how well you could crown it or how well it shot - that would be one ugly 52! If it were mine I'd put another barrel on it.

If that short barrel did turn out to shoot real good then you could save the appearance by adding a 10" long sleeve or bloop tube to it. A sleeved barrel is common in target rifles and you might end up with a nice rifle at little cost (Also, if you shape the sleeve properly you can tell every one it's a tuner - they will be really impressed!)

Last edited:
guess you didn't look in the classifieds under trades?

This was put in the classifieds.

Ad Information

Category: Components

Ad Number: 2212

Date Posted: 07/21/2008

Price: $150 or trade

Text of Ad

Win. 52D factory heavy target barrel, 95-98% orig. blue, exc. bore (borescoped), professionally recrowned. $150 or trade. I need a Rem. 700 stainless varmint fluted barrel in .22-250 or .243. Must have exc. bore.
Contact Information

Name: Bill Pool

Street Address:

City: Benton

State/Province: Arkansas

Zip/Postal Code:

Telephone Number:

E-Mail Address: Jeraqeaux@aol.com

Web Site URL:

View Wanted & Trades ads posted by this user
View All ads posted by this

Back