looking for a .22LR for benchrest

S

slemley

Would a BSA Martini International MKII be a good starting benchrest rifle or are there better rifles that will deliver. I'm looking at spending around $800 to $1,000 dollars

Buy a 40X. You can build on that action but there is not much you do with the Martini.

Bsa

action is operated by means of a lever so you'll be taking the rifle off the bag/rest for every reload. That's not going to get you top accuracy since you probably won't be settling the rifle back in the same manner each time. I've had good luck with a Cooper TRP-3. Yes, it know it's an "introductory" BR rifle but mine shoots very well. There was a used one on one of the auction sites a couple of weeks back for about $1000. Keep your eyes open, they turn up now and then. The other option is to go with another brand and build it up to suit your skill level and wallet. You might check out some threads on RimfireCentral. There have been some good discussions of the Coopers there.

Good luck. Rick

Same answer different thread!:D:D

Look at a good used Anschutz 54 or a Suhl. Both are accurate out of the box, both have good triggers and both can be updated to a real bench gun as you go. Both can be found within your buget.

Ken

I just did the same research

I am a bench rest shooter for fun only. But, want to upgrade from my Savage Anschutz Match 64 which has served me well for 4-5 years. My search began when I saw a BSA Martini International MK II at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful rifle and unique with the drop block action etc. When I dug in, I found that it is not a good match for benchrest as stated by rick_687. They are known for their use in 3 position shooting. I also was told by a respected dealer who sells them that the BSA's in their time were excellent but, that Anschutz has now surpassed them in many aspects. Trigger quality, adjustability, "lock time" which I think is time between trigger pull to termination and firing pin connection to cartridge.
The BSA's are not readily suited to mount a modern scope. They are set up to mount an older style Unertl, Lyman which is way different than modern scope mounting. Anschutz rifles are easily adaptable to modern scope if that is what you plan. They have grooves on the receiver at 11mm that work with Weaver style mounts.
I am about to order an Anschutz 1407 to scratch my itch to upgrade. My Savage Anschutz Match 64 is available for sale. If you are just starting, this would be a good starter and would cost you a lot less than your stated budget.
Feel free to contact me at my email address if you wish to pursue this. I have photos and targets that I have shot with it. It can make 1/2 holes with five rounds at 50 yards if I do my job right. My email is on my info on the post.

Hey T....that 1407 is a serious upgrade just for fun shooting. Here's an idea, buy the Martini and start a Vintage side match at your club. You will be surprised how many guys have the old cmp guns and will join in the fun. They still shoot good scores and are fun to shoot. Ken V makes a modern scope base for the Martini. We have a ball at our club in the Vintage class. Just an idea...Good shooting and respect the old guns....Steve

Mr. Martini

I hope you are not a shirt tail relative of the family (martini). I think the Mk II that I saw and have seen since in the usual places for sale is one of the most beautiful firearms I have ever laid eyes on. Unfortunately, my current W2 does not allow such extravagances as having two target .22LR in the house and the same time. I must limit myself to what shoots for protection, fun and hunting one at a time for this phase of life.

Maybe when I am rich and famous (maybe just rich) I will be able to have multiple to take to the club for such fun.

If you are in that phase I envy you.

I do respect them all and wish I could own more...
Tim

The Vintage Smallbore Class

We developed rules for this Vintage rimfire benchrest class over on Rimfire Central.

That BSA would be competitive in this class.

About 7-8 years ago the CMP got back thousands of match grade target rifles that had been on loan to Jr. rifle teams all over the country: Thanks to Bill Clinton, OSHA closed down thousands of 50 foot indoor ranges because of the lead poison scare. So: The CMP has been selling thousands of Remington 40X & 513Ts, and Winchester 52 Bs & Cs at rock bottom prices.

I got to thinking about this, and how there is no National BR association that has a class for these fine old guns. What a shame! A few of these rifles have been upgraded to be competitive in Sanctioned Matches. The rest are locked away on gun safes. Will they ever see the light of day again? I hope so.

Take a look at these rules. I would be interested in your comments:

Joe Haller
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RULES FOR THE VINTAGE SMALLBORE CLASS
1. WEIGHT: No restrictions on weight, but the rifle must not exceed the original factory weight. No additional weight allowed.

2. STOCKS: Must have original stock. Or: if the stock as been modified or the original stock has been replaced with a custom, a factory stock of the same type as the original may be used. Glass bedding is allowed.

3. BARREL: Rifle must have original barrel, with no barrel tuner. The factory barrel may be shortened and recrowned. Rechambering is not allowed.

4. SCOPE POWER: No restriction on scope power.

5. TRIGGER: Must be mechanical. No electric or remote triggers. Trigger parts/springs or custom triggers may be installed for a light pull. Must be safe.

6. RESTS: Front and rear rests, not connected and filled with sand. Windage and elevation adjustments are allowed on the front rest. BiPod front rest allowed. A large single sand bag of the "Bulls Bag" type would be allowed.

7. AMMUNITION: Not to exceed $11.00 per box of 50. Price will be before shipping or taxes.
(No Eley Red Box, Lapua Midas or RWS R50)
Prices listed on the Champion Shooters Supply Website will be our "standard price list".
The Champion Shooters Supply website:
http://www.championshooters.com/index-ssl.html
Click on "Ammunition" on the left side of the home page.
Discontinued match grade ammunition is considered to be in the same price range as similar ammunition in current production. (No Federal 1000 A or B).
With the cost of ammunition rising: We will adjust prices in the future.

8. RESTRICTIONS: Any rifle with a benchrest type stock or a custom action or a factory action that has been "blueprinted" will not be allowed in this class. A benchrest stock is one that has a foreend with a flat bottom, more than 2.7 inches wide, and/or has the bottom of the buttstock parallel or near parallel to the bottom of the foreend.
Other rules from the RFC Unlimited Class that apply to the Vintage Smallbore Class
9. From the front edge of the bench to the face of the target: 50 yards.

10. A maximum of 20 minutes is allowed to fire all sighter shots and one shot at each of the 25 record bulls.

11. If a rifle fits the rules for more than one rifle class, you may enter the rifle in each of those classes. Before you start a target, you write the rifle class on the target and enter that score in that rifle class. Do not enter that score in more than one match. You may shoot a maximum four targets per month in each rifle class where the rifle fits the rules. Post your best score(s) in the correct match thread for the month.

12. You may shoot more than one rifle each month: Not more that four targets per rifle.

13. You may shoot on an indoor range from December to March. If you shoot indoors: Type (INDOORS) at the beginning of the third line of your score report. Because it is HOT in our Southern States in the Summer (And in Australia and South American,in our winter): Anyone who has access to a 25 and or 50 yard indoor range, may shoot the RFC matches INDOORS, as long as they indicate "INDOORS" in their score reports."

14. Junior Shooters: The minimum age of a young person allowed in these competitions will be determined by the parent. A Junior shooter is a young persons who has not reached the age of 18. If your are a Junior: Type (Age 14): Or whatever your age, at the end of the first line of your score report.

I started out shooting IR 50/50 benchrest with a Martini MKII. I used a Farley rest. I did not have to lift the rifle out of the rest to operate the lever. The Martini MKII is a good learning rifle and is able to compete on a local level.
I still have the rifle and love to shoot it and am amazed at it's accuracy. My two 52d's don't shoot any better than my Martini.

I shoot an ancient (1956) left handed BSA Mark III and I am competitive at the 50 yard and the 100 yards bench rest. I do not have to move the rifle to eject (and does it ever eject!) the case and to reload. I also have the Cooper TRP-3 and I find them about equal in accuracy.

A word to the Wise..............

Do not ever disassemble a Martini International trigger group. It will make you scream at the kids, kick the dog, ignore your wife almost to the point of divorce, and consume large amounts of liquor.
I like to learn the hard way. Doh!!!

Try looking into an H&R 12 or the H&R 5200(the commercial version) . My 12 equals and sometimes outshoots my win 52D and annie 64 match. They can be had for around 500 on some of the auction sites

There is a new unissued H&R 12 on Scott Duff's website.

www.scott-duff.com

R1176Rst.jpg_70.JPG

Back