Looking for .224 Donaldson Ace reamer and dies

drwhite55

This is my first post on the forum and I am new so bare with me. Benchrest is fairly new to me but it and accurate shooting/varminting has been something that interests me. I am working on a wildcat cartridge that will use the 224 Donaldson Ace as its base. For those unfamiliar the .224 Don Ace was Harvey Donaldson's last wildcat he developed before he passed away in 1972. It is based on the .225 Winchester, shortened case and 30° shoulder. He had hoped it would gain some popularity as a bench rest and varmint cartridge but with his passing it did not get much publicity. Anyway, I am looking for any forming, necking, reloading dies, chamber reamers or other tooling related to this cartridge. RCBS sill sells them on special order, w/ a 4mo. delivery date, but I thought some of you that have been around for a few years might have something in your drawers that you might want to get rid of. Perhaps someone might even have a bench rest rifle chambered for it?

Thanks

Dan White

P.S. If anyone is interested I do have a scanned copy of the Rifle Magazine test report from Nov./Dec. '72 on the .224 Don Ace. I have been unable to locate a copy of the Precision Shooter magazine from '71 that covers the .224 and 6mm version written by Harvey himself.

would you not rather have something more modern or mainstream? I understand the mystique of having something you thought about years ago tho but sometimes those zillions of wildcats are alot of trouble for no gain or very little.

Well I could go with a PPC or BR base cartridge but I am kind of a do your own thing kind of guy. I like off beat, non-mainstream things. For example I like tinkering with Hudson and Studebaker engined cars, not small block chevy rods. I am working on a '57 Studebaker wagon with a 3x2 carb setup. I could easily just drop in an modern engine and go, but what fun would that be.

This will be a .19 caliber wildcat and I am doing it just for the fun of it. I have no aspirations this will be anything more than my own design for targets and varmints. There is always time to be mainstream but experimenting is something I like to do.

I have 225 brass to go to .224 DA and I have .19 cal bullets. Moving from 225 Winchester to .224 DA with a forming die is a one step easy process, then trim the case. Will need to neck down to .19.

The Wasp reamer may work? Just run it a bit deeper for the longer .224 case. Changing the pilot to .19 would work. How much do you want for them?

Last edited:
Back