Lookin for a good press for core seating

REMY

Hi ,my swage presses are the modified Redd. type and there are a good press to do the job but for core seating i would like to know if there's somthing better out there ,i see on the RCBS web site that they offer a special order swage press, does anyone have any info about the press they offer.
Thank's Remy:)

Remy Ihave the redding presses also the rockchucker that neimi modified.But I also have a Lee press that George ulrich modified,I like the Lee better than the other 2 for the reason , i get a better feel on what is going on with the core seating and pointing up.This is just my opinion. kenny

Kenny thank's for chiming in , i also saw a thread where Randy Robinet stated that the lee also gave the better result's for very unifome core squirting,which at the moment is my least like chore beause im having a hard time keeping the weight to more or less 1/10 where it should be.
Remy

I'm not using a Lee for seating cores but they sure are springy. I now use it for just nocking out primers. It looks strong but it's hollow underneath….. The old A2 is an other story,it is rock solid…….. jim

looking for a good press for core seating

Rock chuckers are great so are A2,s if you can find one.

Remy My Lee is a 50bmg no spring in this press.Im making from 115 gr to 210gr bulletts 30 cal. flat base and bts.The only thing george did to the press was to modifie the linkage,and another feature is the handle is moveable you can put it where you need it.l

Switching the handle is really cool.
I have a pinched nerve in my neck. Using my left hand for the press and right hand for the jacket works wonders. Great exercise for my neck.
That and Bud Mundy told me about his exercise regime while driving.........:D

Mine is a classic cast and it is hollow underside,turn it upside down and look at it. I was sizing Dashers and my shoulder is set .0015 and it was varying a .001. Set the die up in the A2 right on the money every pass.0015. So they spring………. jim

Lee classic

Hi ,my swage presses are the modified Redd. type and there are a good press to do the job but for core seating i would like to know if there's somthing better out there ,i see on the RCBS web site that they offer a special order swage press, does anyone have any info about the press they offer.

Maybe there are some that don't measure up, but go with the odds. Odds are you'll get a good'en.
No first hand experience, just passing on from folks with first hand experience and let's just say,---- really experienced folks.

Charlie

Maybe there are some that don't measure up, but go with the odds. Odds are you'll get a good'en.
No first hand experience, just passing on from folks with first hand experience and let's just say,---- really experienced folks.

Charlie

That didn't sound right, I meant really high volume users. -----But they are experienced! lol

Charlie - I didn't notice that you goofed the first time but after the second response I don't really know what you meant:)

If you vary more than you want while making cores I'll offer some items to look at:

Yourself - get in the bullet making mode and make cores as fast as you can. If you let up and make one slower than the others, throw it in another pile and use those for your own bullets. Hardly matters but your trying to make them perfect! When you make one that's too light....throw it away as you don't know what made it light.

The lead itself - some lead is not as perfect as you wish. If the lead is not good enough either swap lead or use some draw dies to get it more "normal". If the draw dies don't make it acceptable, hope that you didn't buy much.

Wilbur, as right now I don't think anyone is making cores as consistant as Charlie is. after talking with quite a few that used to squirt there own general consensus is we just can't hold weights as well.. for what its worth

Mine is a classic cast and it is hollow underside,turn it upside down and look at it. I was sizing Dashers and my shoulder is set .0015 and it was varying a .001. Set the die up in the A2 right on the money every pass.0015. So they spring………. jim

Jim, I have converted 100's for bullet making only have had issues with one and that was because insert nut was loose, base to ogive within.001 on bullets checked by dozens of different bullet makers, not sure where you think cast iron is springing at. we used to use herters "c" presses and didn't get spring let alone an O style press????

looking for a good press for core seating

Uniform core weight = uniform core seating = uniform points.

I isn't rocket science and charlie makes Wonderful cores.

I used some and they were right on weight tolerances But i like making my own.

I use 3 different style presses Redding,s Rock Chuckers and an old A2,
all of them do a great job.
The Redding has just tad more open area.

New press for making bullets

Remy, this is what we did in Italy to have something better that the usual modified press:all parts are machined from solid metal, the piston diameter of 30mm slides on brass bushings; the pivots of the connecting rods of 12mm diameter are hardened and slide on hardened bushings. All the tolerances are close to zero.
Best
Alberto

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 347
Jim, I have converted 100's for bullet making only have had issues with one and that was because insert nut was loose, base to ogive within.001 on bullets checked by dozens of different bullet makers, not sure where you think cast iron is springing at. we used to use herters "c" presses and didn't get spring let alone an O style press????

I used an A2 since 1966, went to a small redding and it was springy then the Lee and it was springy. went back to the A2 and Coax they don't spring and head space is consistent. The Redding is pointing bullets and the Lee takes the primers out and fool around stuff……. jim

Remy, this is what we did in Italy to have something better that the usual modified press:all parts are machined from solid metal, the piston diameter of 30mm slides on brass bushings; the pivots of the connecting rods of 12mm diameter are hardened and slide on hardened bushings. All the tolerances are close to zero.
Best
Alberto

Alberto very nice. You could start a business and sell lots of those. Maybe you already do. Nice stuff.:)

Alberto very nice. You could start a business and sell lots of those. Maybe you already do. Nice stuff.:)

Thank you Tim, we found that the usual presses flex while making core squirting, seating and pointing. This press with the strong frame and the tollerances to 0,01 (metric) on all the parts make the flexing close to zero and (this is important) every time the same. So on the ICC (for those who believe in this machine:)) and on the target you can see the difference.
We produce these presses and also a core cutter that works very well too. Attached some more photos of the press and the core cutter. If someone is interested we can get in touch and anyway I'll be at the Super Shoot starting from 15th may.
Best
Alberto

Attachments

• IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 388