Long tube target scopes -- Unertl or Lyman?

Don't Forget Fecker

As some of you may know, Unertl learned the scope trade working for Fecker before he started his own shop.

If I had it to do over, I would get a Fecker, rather than my Unertl. The reason is the center focus of the Fecker. With Kimberly's Fecker 12X you don't need three foot long arms to adjust focus/parallax. It is done with a calibrated lockable ring in the middle of the scope.

Other than that, the external adjustment rings, spring tension and optics are the same as on an Unertl. They even use the same mounting blocks.

I will never understand why Unertl did not keep the center focus system with his scopes. It makes quick adjustments and fine adjustments a lot easier.

Slowshot...

As some of you may know, Unertl learned the scope trade working for Fecker before he started his own shop.

If I had it to do over, I would get a Fecker, rather than my Unertl. The reason is the center focus of the Fecker. With Kimberly's Fecker 12X you don't need three foot long arms to adjust focus/parallax. It is done with a calibrated lockable ring in the middle of the scope.

Other than that, the external adjustment rings, spring tension and optics are the same as on an Unertl. They even use the same mounting blocks.

I will never understand why Unertl did not keep the center focus system with his scopes. It makes quick adjustments and fine adjustments a lot easier.

I'll take a stab at your question in your final paragraph. The mid mount focuser on a Fecker contains extra glass elements to bring the image being formed by the main objective lens to a focus through the eye piece. The Unertl actually moves the objective lens to get focus, thereby eliminating the extra lenses in the Fecker. Not necessarily a simpler design, but one without extra glass elements to introduce image abberations and reduce light thruput. In those days the coatings technology was not what it is today and fewer lenses were probably felt to produce brighter images with less distortions. JMHO.

Varmint Cong?? The 8X Lyman scope was used by the Marines in WW2 as a sniper scope. The Redfield 6X18 was the Marine Corps sniper scope in Vietnam.

Hi Jim. A joke from the Movie “Caddyshack.” Bill Murray is a lovable loser maintenance man at a golf course and is tasked to kill all the gophers wreaking havoc with the greens. He attempts to shoot them and refers to the gophers as “Varmint Cong.”

Also a play on your statement- ” You do realize the Marines used these scopes as their sniper scopes for many years. They were used as long range varmint scopes for at least 30 years.” I looked at that as saying Marine snipers used these scopes for “Long Range Pest Control” on “Varmints” (Japanese, Viet Cong, etc.) for 30 years.

Cheers,

Mark

Back