Long range elk whacker

I have it on good authority . . .

Brass is the least cost per unit but at 2 bucks a pop means you're ain't going to want to leave spent shells lying in the dirt. Not a fan of Talley rings personally but each to his own.

I too much prefer the ballistic turrets to aiming off. The new Zeiss system gets my vote

The scope will be a Huskemaw 5x20X, mounted in Talley one-piece rings/bases. The brake was made by Harrell's precision. The barrel is a Borughton 5c, 1:9" twist. All of these components are tried and proven performers. Al is correct - even at $2.00 a pop for brass (actually, I found a stash for a LOT less than that), for this project, that's the pocket-change. :p

As for brass hitting the dirt - I don't even allow 'old' two-bit brass to do that! ;) RG

P.S. edited because scope magnification, in original post was incorrect. :eek:

Last edited:
Randy, that's funny but true. I shoot at an animal and the first thing I do is locate the brass and then check if the animal is down.

I do a fair bit of deer culling. Scrabbling around in the grass looking for expensive brass is not a luxuryyou can afford on those types of jobs hence I stay away from exotic calibre where the brass costs you a buck fifty and wildcats that you can't walk into any gunstore and buy over the counter.

The reason I parted ways with my 5.6X57 which I used exclusively for lamping foxes was that RWS starting to hiking up the cost of the brass. To a point where I was tossing $1.20 out the truck window for everyone I shot.

I wouldn't want to eat fox! Although I know two people who have tried it. I don't think either of them would choose to eat it again.

maybe you should get your story straight....

"I do a fair bit of deer culling. Scrabbling around in the grass looking for expensive brass is not a luxuryyou can afford on those types of jobs hence I stay away from exotic calibre where the brass costs you a buck fifty and wildcats that you can't walk into any gunstore and buy over the counter.

The reason I parted ways with my 5.6X57 which I used exclusively for lamping foxes was that RWS starting to hiking up the cost of the brass. To a point where I was tossing $1.20 out the truck window for everyone I shot. "

I wouldn't want to eat fox! Although I know two people who have tried it. I don't think either of them would choose to eat it again.

small deer or lagre fox ?? which ??

mike in co

Maybe you should try some stronger glasses, staying of the home brewed hooch or reading the thread in its proper context...........one or all of them will clear up your confusion.

Back