Little help on selecting a Barrel--please--

matchman

For a LV 10.5lb class Benchrest rifle. 6ppc.
I assume I need to stay with my current contour to make weight. I have 1.250" @ receiver (20.5" long) .920@muzzle
so is this a #7 standard varmint or a #7 LV Varmint contour ?
recommended twist ?
recommended # of groves in rifling ?
I see Brunos has a good deal (I think) on Shilen barrels $236.40
looks like Hart is $315.00 from hart.
Hart or Shilen ? Shilen getting long in the tooth ?
Thanks
Adam

Adam

Normally, a 10.5 pound Rifle will use a 1.200 breach diameter, someone started with a HV contour on your Rifle and cut it back enough on the chamber end, and short enough, to make weight.

Bruno also has a "medium contour" in Kriegers that starts at about 1.210 at the chamber end straight portion.

Shilen ceratinly isn't getting "long on tooth", in fact, they have a entire new cadre of younger owners who are making great strides toward making Shillen the top barrel maker in the Country.

What is the weight of the barrel you have now?? By going with a true LV profile, you can get more length if you so desire..........jackie

Ditto, with what Jackie said. Get a #7 LV taper barrel if you're going to get a Shilen. That's about the contour equivalent to a undersized HV taper in a Hart or a #18 LV taper in a Krieger or Bartlein. It seems just about all the barrel makers have their own contour designations for basically the same barrel contour. The LV taper barrel is easier to make weight in a 10.5 pound rifle. Usually anymore about a 5 pound barrel is what is needed to make weight with the 30mm scopes, stocks and actions currently being used. Of course, each rifle is a rule unto it's own and I'd make sure what weight barrel you need instead of just matching the weight of the barrel that's currently on your rifle.

Back