Lilja barrel

S

SINJIN

I have done some research on this fine forum about barrels, twist rate, groves,etc... and to be honest my head hurst from trying to decipher through all of the information not relevant to the topic. This is my first year competing in a local competition and as luck would have it I won the overall year end results for 2008. My prize is a Lilja barrel in any caliber, twist rate, grove and contour. I will be the first to say that I have a lot to learn about this game and the equipment and so I come to the knowledgable individuals of this fine forum for some help on what to get.

I am currently shooting a custom Flash Ebert action that has been modified for a 40X bolt and when I bought it, the previous owner had just put a new benchmark barrel in it. So right now I do not need to re-barrel this gun but I am wanting in the future to build a gun utilizing the new turbo action. If I do this I could use this Lilja barrel that I won for the project so I just wanted to know everyone's reccomendations on twist rate, number of groves, countour and any other things about barrels that I might need to know for it and the reasons behind your answers.

I also have a Stock Sako Quad that I started shooting with a while back and was possibly thinking about building a match sporter rifle with this action, since I do not have one and am thinking about shooting this year in RBA. So for this again twist rate, number of groves, and countour. I know that I can get a drop in barrel for the Quad from Lilja since they are interchangeable but is it better to go this route or to send the action off and have it threaded to accept different barrels?

I love this sport so I am not wanting to order something blindly with no information or vision on exacly what I need. Any help would be greatly appriciated and thank you in advance for the responses.

I'll give you some general opinions about how to order your Lilja barrel for your Sako. If I were ordering for me, I'd get either a 1 in 16 twist 4 groove or a 1 in 17 twist 6 groove. Both shoot exceptionally well in most conditions. Also, I would not get a drop in for the Sako. The Sako actions vary in their barrel tenon diameter enough so that I would prefer a custom turned tenon for your particular action so a tight slip fit is obtained. This will minimize the clamp stress on the action. I've seen a few of the Sako actions that cracked from too loose barrel tenon. A straight contour .800-.825 dia barrel should allow you to make Sporter weight with any fairly light weight Sporter stock.

if it gets cold where you shoot i would avoid the 17 twist. like below 50 degrees.

if it gets cold where you shoot i would avoid the 17 twist. like below 50 degrees.

You said a mouth full there -Nemohunter. I have learned that from a friend who has had some problem shooting with that same twist and it will not shoot when it is cold . garrisone.

i really thought about a 17 for me BUT i like to shoot all year round and we have 4 real seasons here in MO. of course what day it is depends on what season it is. today it's winter. friday it was spring with 60 degree temps.

So from what I have read in the past and from the above the 16 or 16.5 twist is the way to go. How about the number of grooves and what is the advantages or disadvantages of the different numbers and what about countour?

So from what I have read in the past and from the above the 16 or 16.5 twist is the way to go. How about the number of grooves and what is the advantages or disadvantages of the different numbers and what about countour?

I did a quick scan of your initial thread and it appears this is for a benchrest rifle in the RBA circuit. If it were me and which I did, I would get the 4 groove, 16 twist tight bore at what ever length you want and call it the day. Very good shooting barrel.

My $.02
Bill

I did a quick scan of your initial thread and it appears this is for a benchrest rifle in the RBA circuit. If it were me and which I did, I would get the 4 groove, 16 twist tight bore at what ever length you want and call it the day. Very good shooting barrel.

My $.02
Bill
AS Cadman suggests the 16 twist 4 groove would be an excellent choice for your rifle. garrisone.

I probably agree....but I have a 16 twist Broughton which shoots pretty well and am having having a 17 twist 5c put on another rifle right now.

FYI, at least 2 of the top 3 finishers in the ARA A-Line shot Broughton 5C 17 twist last year.

Charlie

Back