Lightweight Bedding Epoxy

Wayne Shaw

I've always used Marine Tex, never had a problem. But was wondering if there was something that was lighter? When you're scraping for every last ounce, it all adds up.

one way to make the bedding lighter is to mix in micro ballons...glass air filled bubbles. these are so light they will float in air. when i built remote control submersibles( mine sweepers and oil rig stuff) we used it to reduce weigh..sorta. we could fill areas/displace water......increase displacement...
you would have to locate a source....commercial resin/composite companies....mix with resin then add hardner.
reperator required...not good for the lungs...
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago, I bought a BRX from Speedy. He sent a couple of tubes of something with a note that said "when weight is an issue, try this bedding" (paraphrasing). Well I never opened it and I don't have it any more. So this is why I'm asking if there is a notable difference in bedding epoxy weight. One would assume that for instance, the aluminum Devcon would be lighter than the steel Devocn, per volume. The marine tex doesn't have any metallic filler that I know of.

Wayne, Pro Bed from Score High Gunsmithing is pretty light but I'm not sure of the exact difference as compared to Marine Tex for weight...I can't imagine a huge difference. Pro Bed comes with a bag of micro spheres.

I know Speedy was using and selling ceramic type bedding for a while and ceramics can be pretty light...maybe that's what it was? The ceramic stuff I'd seen from Speedy was a lavender-ish color.

At my 'day job', PMMA (polymethylmethacrylate) is injected into vertebral bodies that have collapsed due to severe osteoporosis, trauma or metastatic disease. I've used it a few times for bedding jobs and it's worked and lasted very well. It does get over 150 degrees during catalyzation, though.

Pro Bed is good stuff....best I've ever found. :cool:

Good shootin'. -Al

Back