Leupold Scope Power Question

M

mlcruse

Getting ready to purchase a Leupold Competition Scope with 1/8 min. dot. I had planned on purchasing the 45X scope, but am a little concerned about too much magnification. I was just thinking that going from a current 36X to a 40X was not much of an increase. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Mike

I've had both and prefer the 40x. They just seem clearer to me.

I have a Comp 40 and a 12-42 NF. I never use the NF at 42 and if mirage is rearing its ugly head I'll turn it down quite a bit. The Comp 40 is very clear with good contrast, but mirage is tough at even that power sometimes. I'd suggest asking to look at rifles with whatever you think might be best for you and decide based on your own observations. I doubt anyone would deny you the opportunity to "take a good look". bob

I have a weaver T-36 and 2 Leupold Comp 40s I thought long and hard about going to a 45 but decided on the 40. I was always concerned about more mirage going up more than the 40. I know it is not much difference but when I shoot the rifle with the 36 I just can't get in and see as well with the 36. Good magnification spoils you. I am sure it is rumor but I have had several people say the LCS scopes were designed around the 40 and the 35 and 45 is a slight compromise....but I don't put much faith in taht statement.

Personally the only reason I would trade my LCS 40 would be for a nightforce.

Charlie

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess now I am wondering is the 40X Leupold Comp. Scope that much of an upgrade/increase in power from a Sightron 36X? I mean, is a 4X increase all that much?

Mike, midway usa has the SII on sale for $369 plus sightron is offering $50-$75 cash rebate for any SII purchased before dec. 31 midway has a copy of the rebate to print off. $ 319+ shipping is a good price for the sightron SII. 6mmbr has a comparison on most target scopes under optics on their home page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sightron 10-50 Variable

Has anyone tried the new variable power 10x-50x Sightron? Just wondering if they were getting good reviews or is the quality there for basically the same price of the Leupolds?
Thanks, Tony

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess now I am wondering is the 40X Leupold Comp. Scope that much of an upgrade/increase in power from a Sightron 36X? I mean, is a 4X increase all that much?

It is far more than that. Better glass, better internals, side focus that's more precise. There really is a reason they're 9 bills.

Tim

I realize (I hope) the quality is primarily the reason for the higher price. Still wondering if there is a substantial a gain from a 36X to a 40X scope? If not, that is why I am (was?) leaning toward the 45X. Again, thanks for the replies.

Go with as much magnification as you can handle. 40X is about 11% increase in magnification over 36X. 45X is a 25% increase in magnification. You don't get the extra magnification for free. First you will lose some light transmission. Second you will be able to see mirage better. The mirage is there anyway, but the higher the power the more you see it. There are a few other tradeoffs. I think Leupold makes a 35, 40 and 45. 45 is the only one I would want. There is no comparison in the quality compared to sightron and remember you get a lifetime, no matter who owns it, warranty with the Leupold.

Well I'll tell you going from a Weaver 36 to a $900 LCS is probably not a value proposition. I would say though, if you have eyes of a certain age or any eye issues at all, the side focus is a great benefit. Myself, I put one[45X] only on a .22 because I put a March on a 6PPC so I kind of backed into it.

Hi Mike

Just a thought from a mate downunder and yes - we're looking after Oprah.. and yes- we're definitely sending her back !!

I have two Anschutz benchrest rifles - one sporting a new Weaver T-36 and the other wearing a Leupold 40x comp scope. The differences (for me) are quite noticeable in that for example, the image within the Weaver never seems crisp as against the excellent light gathering of the Leupold not withstanding the fact that the Leupold (here) is nearly double the price.

Importantly - the Leupold shows mirage much better - especially as we get relatively high humidity at this time of year whereas the Weaver is unable to demonstrate the same clarity and without visual accuity - you simply cannot 'identify' the swirl of air from a mirage as quickly and/or as noticeably. It's something I'm learning to cope with but the Leupold is making it that much easier. I guess bottom line is that you get what you pay for.

Cheers mate.

Cary

Mike
I`ve had most of the scopes you are asking about,Sightrons,Weavers, 36 Leupolds,45Leupolds,
and now a 40 Leupold. Other than a March which is way out of my price range, I`m planning on
sticking with the 40.
To me the 45 was toooo much ( eyes would get tired by mid afternoon) and the 36 not quite enough. (I didn`t try the 35 competion)
Good Luck with what ever you choose!
Pete

Back