leupold comp series scope

skeetlee

What can a fella do to insure his scope isn't moving under recoil. I have a leupold comp series and I'm just not sure I trust it. What kind of mods are being done to these scopes and who is doing them? Lee

What can a fella do to insure his scope isn't moving under recoil. I have a leupold comp series and I'm just not sure I trust it. What kind of mods are being done to these scopes and who is doing them? Lee

First and foremost, make sure your rings are tight and then are cinched down tight to the bases. I've seen scopes slide through rings over time because they weren't tight enough.

Skeet,
I have one back at Leupold right now. One month it was fine, and the next I couldn't predict the shots. When they go bad, it can happen quickly.

To their credit, the return process is very good. You download & fill out the service form. I shipped by USPS priority shipping. They responded back with an estimated completion in 18 working days.

My scope is an early one that did not come with screw on lens caps. I also requested they supply a set of lens caps, so we'll see if they can come up with them. I had called them before to buy a set, but they directed me to places like Midway, which don't have caps to fit the competition scope.

Regards,
Ron

Last edited:
You know, I really want to buy a Leupold 45x but the more I hear about durability issues I turn away. My dad has an 36X from the early 90's and it's held-up. That said, we've haven't pushed it that hard in terms of adjustment.

My problem is I like FC with a dot. Unless I'm mistaken Nightforce and March don't offer that reticle. So I'm left with Sightron or Weaver. Nothing against either but I can't get higher than 36x without boosting.

Maybe I'm getting old but I'm hard pressed to drop a grand on a scope I may have to tweak. Especially when the next tier are $400 - $500 less.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

You know, I really want to buy a Leupold 45x but the more I hear about durability issues I turn away. My dad has an 36X from the early 90's and it's held-up. That said, we've haven't pushed it that hard in terms of adjustment.

My problem is I like FC with a dot. Unless I'm mistaken Nightforce and March don't offer that reticle. So I'm left with Sightron or Weaver. Nothing against either but I can't get higher than 36x without boosting.

Maybe I'm getting old but I'm hard pressed to drop a grand on a scope I may have to tweak. Especially when the next tier are $400 - $500 less.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

March offers fine crosshair with a dot.

Unless I'm mistaken Nightforce and March don't offer that reticle.
-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee - you are mistaken. I have a March EPS with a FCH and a 1/8" dot, and another with a 3/32" dot. I like them both, but prefer the 3/32" dot. Take a look at http://marchscopes.com/reticle.html

I also have to add that I have a Leupold 45 Competition that I bought new in late 2001. There have been times I thought I might have a scope problem, but the scope has always fixed itself when I changed barrels. As far as I can tell, that scope has never let me down and is still on a BR rifle.

So In my experience at least (very small sample of 1), the Leupold Competition scopes do seem reliable. But I do like the tolerances that Deon work to with the March, plus the fact that each one is hand assembled, glued, etc.

A gunsmith from Wickenburg, AZ. Bob Brackney also does a conversion, he locks the scope internally and then puts on micrometer external ajustable rings. I think it is an awesome idea but is benchrest only.
I like mine it gives you confidence that if things are not going good you can look elsewhere for accuracy issues

A gunsmith from Wickenburg, AZ. Bob Brackney also does a conversion, he locks the scope internally and then puts on micrometer external ajustable rings. I think it is an awesome idea but is benchrest only.
I like mine it gives you confidence that if things are not going good you can look elsewhere for accuracy issues

Sort of like the Unertl of old?
Can you provide pics or link to a website?

Thanks,

Phil aka tazzman:confused:

Have Bob Brackney

Freeze it and put it in his external adjust rings.

I keep hearing bad things about the Leupold scope but I have two 45X with crosshair's that I love with a passion. I like the clarity and the weight, ect. Would I like a March 50X???? YES and I have already threaten Jim on this, but until such time as I get one, I will live with the Leupolds. By the way, at Super Shoot 2007 I went into the last target with a .1325 agg and ended up with a .15 whatever agg. Was it the fault of the scope?? Nope, "ME"!!!!!
HI Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still hoping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill tell you the scope that really has my interest, is the new NightForce. I really, really like my BR model NF scope but as well all know, its heavy. The glass is simply outstanding though!!
I have two scopes that i trust 100%. My NF and an old Leupold 36BRD. I have 5 other scopes, but i trust them none. Maybe they are just fine, and to be quite honest i have no real reason to think otherwise. I guess i just shoot my best when using one of my two trusted scopes. weird i know!! Lee

Buckys tsi mounts for sale.

Stu Harvey has 2sets of these for sale with a frozen Weaver 36 and the other has a Sightron 36X in it that's frozen. Not the quality glass you guys are talking about but should do the job at 100-200 yards. They are for panda/Viper actions if I remember right. He posts on here and can contact him that way. Super nice guy when I talked with him for the first time a couple days ago. Just thought I would mention it.

Back