Leupold 45x won't stay in focus.

"POI shifts are a very different matter... "

How true. I guess I need to see if there is a change in POI as it gets blurry. Also to check if the blurring worsens if I don't correct the focus.

Last edited:
Once upon a time

Once upon a time when I was working as an optical engineer and I had all those toys in the lab to work with I corrected an issue with three scopes that suffered from this problem. One was a redfield there was a pecar and a leupold. All were objective adjusted parallax. The problem was that one of the elements wasn't quite in the retaining ring. Under recoil they moved back and forth maybe a couple of tenths of a mm.

Upon inspection they appeared to be in the mounts correctly. It wasn't until I tapped the housing with a plastic mallet that I could see that one side of a element was protuding a little from the ring. It took me an hour to find the problem and 10 minutes to correct it. It did require the scope to be regassed. I doubt if the factory would spend that much time diagnosing the problem.
Andy.

Once upon a time when I was working as an optical engineer and I had all those toys in the lab to work with I corrected an issue with three scopes that suffered from this problem. One was a redfield there was a pecar and a leupold. All were objective adjusted parallax. The problem was that one of the elements wasn't quite in the retaining ring. Under recoil they moved back and forth maybe a couple of tenths of a mm.

Upon inspection they appeared to be in the mounts correctly. It wasn't until I tapped the housing with a plastic mallet that I could see that one side of a element was protuding a little from the ring. It took me an hour to find the problem and 10 minutes to correct it. It did require the scope to be regassed. I doubt if the factory would spend that much time diagnosing the problem.
Andy.

Andy, probably BINGO! Greg

Let's see, there have been many matches won with a Weaver. Sightrons do well too. You can buy 2 for the price of a LCS, and 4 or more for the price of a March. And save 4 ounces! Just sayin.........

Yes, Weavers and Sightrons have served very well.
The Leupold replaced a Weaver T36. That's what I used the first 2 years on that rifle.
Unfortunately, it took a bounce off the ground and was wrecked. The first scope I replaced it with was another Weaver T36 I took off another rifle which turned out to be unrelieable
It was one of those cases where you'd adjust the elevation &/or windage and the effect took place some random number of shots later.
That's the point I decided to try the Leupold.
I haven't been able to get a stable reliable scope on this rifle since the first weaver took it's nose dive into the ground.

Give Wally Seibert a call and discuss the problem with him. If I recall correctly, I believe he worked on Leupold scopes for many many years and may still be performing telescope work on a part time basis, as he was a couple of years ago, when I had work done on a Weaver. A simple phone call may end the dilemma.

Wally Seibert
22720 S.E. 56th. St.
Issaquah, WA 98029
(425) 392-3567

Mass produced v low volume

Andy, probably BINGO! Greg

I know a lot of shooters have their favourite scope makes and models and it's true when they say they have never had an issues with them. As a result they also say that the value in scopes like the March just isn't there. There have also been a few March scopes that have disappointed people I no doubt.

But as I own two March scopes now and have taken them into the lab for bench testing and managed to get hold of the schematics I have to conclude that they have been over engineered to hell for what is being asked of them to do. Building and assembling them the way they do will mean the price stays up there. For me I can see the value in them. I would be surprised if I ever experience any of the faults that crop up in mass produced optics.
Andy.

All,

Wally Seibert passed away last May. I talked to him a few times and he worked on two of my scopes. He was a true gentleman - he will be missed.

Note: we often miss a posting - but will place the link here hoping it will work.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?82654-HW-Wally-Siebert-passes&highlight=Wally+Seibert

I'm very sorry to hear of Wally's passing. I'll always remember him as a very kind man, knowledgeable, and always helpful. He worked on two of my scopes too.

The only real problem I have with the side focus is that when I finally have the paralx tuned completely out I am not in the area of perfect focus. When it is in perfect focus there is a lot of paralx.

I bought one, same model. Had the same problem. Sent it back, the paperwork on return said they saw no problem. I sold it, and have not bought another Leupold since.

If there is a problem, at least admit it.
It seems a lot of companies want to deny any product or servicing problems so that they can erroneously report a low rate of defects with their products.

You didn't say whether or not the problem was still there or not when you got your scope back from the factory service department. It is much less of an annoyance to have received your scope back from service with a note saying that they saw no problem with it while you discover that the problem also mysteriously disappeared........compared to receiving the scope back with the same problem.

Receiving the item back in fine working order with a note disclaiming that there was anything wrong seems to be a much more frequent anamoly and occurrence with service departments these days. I've had this happen with an Eotech Halograpic sight. I sent the new $400 sight back for a minor adjustment, and it was returned to me with a huge black spec in the window. I had to send it back to them again. They sent me a note to tell me that they saw nothing in that glass window and that they were sending it back to me as is. I called them up furious and argued with the guy that my half blind wife could see the spot in the window from 3 feet away!
I opened the box to find tthe black spot had mysteriously disappeared. That's not the only time I've had this happen with defective stuff.

Focus

I have a side focus Leupold 45x 45mm Competition scope I bought new 3 years ago for my 30BR VFS rifle.
Upon first mounting I found the scope would not hold focus.
After every shot was fired the scope was blurry and required refocusing.
I sent the scope into Leupold for service.
Upon return there was no note as to what was found or done.
I've used the scope for only part of this season as health issues prevented my shooting the past 3 years.
Last week at the range I noticed the scope is again loosing focus after 2-3 shots.
Has anyone else had an issue with this?
Is the recoil on the 30BR more than this scope can handle?
I have other scope I can used such as Nightforce 12-42 which I'm sure can handle it.
I will have to return the scope to Leupold again but will have lost all confidence in it.
Unfortunately I also am facing another surgery which will keep me from shooting until next Spring so even after service it will be a while before I can make sure it works.
Thoughts?
James

James,

I had this problem and it was fixed by having the side focus assembly replaced.
Have never had a problem ever since. Probably sent it back 4 yrs ago

Cheers
Michael

Back