Lets talk about barrels!!

Good stuff!

Great reads..Hu Lee..!
Thanks Frank ..!
Still just amazes me how the Top barrel makers lap there barrels SO consistently..... BY HAND and Feel...! LOTTSA experience and toil..!;)

cale

Thanks Frank for your time!! I am glad i have one of your barreles for my 30br adventure. I am really pumped about this build. More so than any others i had done up to this point. Again, thanks fellas i always enjoy reading what you guys have to say. Lee

I thought long and hard on the number of match grade Springfield and sniper rifles that had two grove barrels. Now I'm pretty sure they were mounted on these WWII receivers because they tested to be accurate?

I don't know, but one of the HART brothers worked for Remington during WWII where they made the first buttoned rifle barrels. I always figured Hart made button rifled barrels after the war because of what was learned at Remington?

I don't think that any maker makes and sells a two grove today, lack of demand from the public, I suppose. But the ones I've shot were not but anything but good barrels.

Benchmark makes 2 groove rimfire barrels. I put one on a 40X rimfire rifle a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if they make them in other calibers or not. They make great rimfire barrels and are great folks to deal with as well.

John,
What does the amount of grooves have to do with a straight chamber? A good chambering method will allow a straight chamber regardless of grooves.
Butch

Butch, my understanding of it was that with only 2 lands there was little support for the reamer button where the grooves where. I can picture it better than I can describe it, but 3 or more grooves should be much more supportive in holding the button centered if the bore is concentric or perfectly round. Sort of like a three legged stool or a 2 legged stool.:)

JohnVM
2-groove chamber- With a reamer with the proper sized pilot and the barrel dialed in to run true it's not as hard as one would think. It'd not an issue, but some folks can screw up most anything if given a chance.
However, if the barrel was running out and the reamer was held rigidly in a holder of sorts, it'd be possible to screw it up, just as is the case with any other chamber.

Back