Learning how to use a Lathe

Southbend Lathe Works, published a book, "How to run a lathe", which sold millions of copies. In the beginning, learn to grind the various types of high speed steel tools, and also learn to sharpen a drill, that will produce an even chip from each
flute. You will learn a lot of information, about chips, are formed, it will give you a feeling of satisfaction, and confidence.
Muti-coated carbide inserts, have a place in industry, but for the cost of one holder, and 10 inserts, you can have a lot of hand ground tools, that will work quite well during your formative years. Good luck!
Regards,
Bob

There are a lot of lessons on You tube FREE. Several machineist and a school instuctor. The lathe is just one set of instructional videos there are also videos on the mill and general machine work like simple tapping.

I've had 8 or 10 of those 'How To Run A Lathe' books, I pick up the yellow ones :) anywhere from 1956 to 1985 or so, and hand them out to people who show interest. IMO there is actually enough information there to get a person well on their way if they have aptitude. But then I believe that people generally fall into two categories, "can" and "can't."

al

Hey Guys,

Are there any DVD Based or Online courses that I could use to learn the basics of using a Metal Lathe? I'd like to pick up a small lathe, learn some of the basics, and see if "personal" gunsmithing is something that would interest me.

Fred

I've taught 3-4 guys machine shop practice in the last 20 or so yrs. Two became target 'smiths, and the last guy was a veterinarian by trade. The fact that I was in the cellar at my lathe gave him a clue as to which side of the machine to stand. Just kidding, and he was a very good student. He was reading numerous books as he spent time with me(1.5-2yrs). His day off was Tues. and every other Sat.. 6-10hrs each day(lunch was included in this time).
I worked my career in a large shop(the shop and parts were BIG). We had to carpool(1970's to 1990's). The two guys that I rode with had more experience than I was old. Combined, they were in the 50+ yrs. They everything with me. We used Carbide inserts but we also used a lot of high speed steel tools. I was taught that in my trade now, HS tools are a better investment cost wise. You have to go slower so as not to burn your tool, also you can customize your tool for any finish you want.
One job that has come up of late is: High power shooters that have a sight band on the end of their barrel. I used to turn it to about .001-.002 big then polish to size. I tried to grind a tool with a different radius and now I cut to size and it has a mirror finish. We go to used machinery places and they always have drawer upon drawer of old tool bits(HS) and we pick out what we want and they only cost about 1-2 dollars each. The only tool that I have now that is carbide is my threading tool. I bought from Mesa Tool in Ore. The tool and a box of inserts cost me around 70-80dollars.
Anyway, there are books out there as other people have mentioned, as well as DVD's. My vet student says that Tubal Cain was the best. Good luck in your adventure.
Mousse

I've taught 3-4 guys machine shop practice in the last 20 or so yrs. Two became target 'smiths, and the last guy was a veterinarian by trade. The fact that I was in the cellar at my lathe gave him a clue as to which side of the machine to stand. Just kidding, and he was a very good student. He was reading numerous books as he spent time with me(1.5-2yrs). His day off was Tues. and every other Sat.. 6-10hrs each day(lunch was included in this time).
I worked my career in a large shop(the shop and parts were BIG). We had to carpool(1970's to 1990's). The two guys that I rode with had more experience than I was old. Combined, they were in the 50+ yrs. They everything with me. We used Carbide inserts but we also used a lot of high speed steel tools. I was taught that in my trade now, HS tools are a better investment cost wise. You have to go slower so as not to burn your tool, also you can customize your tool for any finish you want.
One job that has come up of late is: High power shooters that have a sight band on the end of their barrel. I used to turn it to about .001-.002 big then polish to size. I tried to grind a tool with a different radius and now I cut to size and it has a mirror finish. We go to used machinery places and they always have drawer upon drawer of old tool bits(HS) and we pick out what we want and they only cost about 1-2 dollars each. The only tool that I have now that is carbide is my threading tool. I bought from Mesa Tool in Ore. The tool and a box of inserts cost me around 70-80dollars.
Anyway, there are books out there as other people have mentioned, as well as DVD's. My vet student says that Tubal Cain was the best. Good luck in your adventure.
Mousse

Great advise, especially on the benefits of using HSS (and HSSCo). It seems many new to metal removal want to just plug-and-play and not learn the basics. Sometimes that works but most times that policy doesn't get the best results.

Back