Lathe tooling

What he said. I've thrown away all the tooling I bought at Grizzly. Go to MSC, Rutland, or even ENCO, for tooling but not Grizzly.

Fitch

F- Rutland is no more, they were bought out by MSC. I much preferred Rutland to MSC but it is what it is.

As for tool posts, I have Aloris style and KDK. I much prefer the KDK for the added benefit of simply flipping a tool holder over to use it in a different position. Some of my tool holders have different tools slots on the opposite side so I can flip it over and I have a cut-off tool or flip it and cut from the back side.

You can buy used posts and holders from Moore tool in Phx. If they haven't been crashed, they last a long time. The Phase II stuff is a cheap knock-off but still better than the 4-way posts that come on most lathes.

I have a friend that like Dorian better than Aloris but they look the same to me.

Lee....please don't take offense to this statement, but...if your Dad is a tool and die maker/machinist he would be a great source of information about tooling and applications...I spent a few years in a machine shop as an apprentice...the guys I worked with were class A and Journeyman machinist...the Journeyman level was the level above the tool and die making machinist...which means he could do both equally well...these guys were awsome to be around...they were on level with some of the best design engineers in our company...and management valued their input equally to the engineers....I was always amazed at the jigs and fixtures they would design to to a specific job...they were the guys that made what they designed...and it worked.!!...I was always impressed by the fact that they would see a rifle cartridge they wanted to try..they would just take some measurements and make their own reamer to chamber up a barrel..!!...they always told me a machinist doesn't buy a gadget he wants..he makes it...:)

Eddie in Texas

Eddie your right. I have a few gun smith friends and they do make there own stuff dont they!! I would to if i had the know how. Yes my father is a master machinist, but i dont seem to have the same schedule as him so i dont really get much of a chance to sit down and discuss these types of things with him. Once we get the shop finished and we get a machine we will spend some time together. All we get to do together at the moment is work on there new home. my folks build a new home up on one of our farms, and the work seems to never end. The addition to the existing pole barn is were my shoot room will be, plus we are putting up another 60x80 barn for the tractors, campers, mowers and such. Plus we are half way done with the screened in back patio to the new house. Not to mention we still have no yard to speak of. Lots of dirt and weeds at the moment. Concrete work is done though and thats a big relief. Well almost done. the shoot room floor will be poured this week by yours truly and its going to be hot as you know what. i cant hardly wait. LOL!! I will take some pics this afternoon when we go out for dinner. Just not much time for shop talk right now. Lee

Mike - I am In Lodi at the Midwest Palma matches. There must be an error somehow as this is a new item. I will forward the message to the IT guys to see if they can fix the issue quickly. Thanks for bringing it up.

Mike - I am In Lodi at the Midwest Palma matches. There must be an error somehow as this is a new item. I will forward the message to the IT guys to see if they can fix the issue quickly. Thanks for bringing it up.

Shiraz, the link to the HSS inserts is working now. Thanks.

Back