Lathe accident (very graphic)

Bench Grinder

Ben,
Hadn't given a lot of thought to wearing gloves when I am using my bench grinder, but after your post, you can bet that I won't be !

Thanks,

Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

this dang thread has made me SCARIED to touch my machines:(

Many of the General Contractors in my neck of the woods (Oregon) are requiring the wearing of gloves on the jobsite. I am a finish carpenter, and while it makes sense to wear gloves for certain operations, I think it is absurd to require the wearing of them while operating power tools such as table saws and jointers. If I was ever required to wear gloves for these functions and I lost a finger or hand as a direct result, you can bet that there would be a lawsuit, and I'm not a sue-prone type of guy at all. I prefer to use my own judgement regarding personal safety gear.

lathe safety

I worked 10 yrs. in a large machine shop , with luck I still have most parts intact. but I did see many accidents but they mostly only involved fingers or ripped clothing. any body with any sense will avoid loose clothing around any machinery drills mills lathes

Although it is certain that gloves, loose clothing, etc., etc., can be a danger, when one is working in a machine shop at twenty below with the bay doors open and a logging truck parked halfway in, he is going to be wearing coveralls and gloves.
I've been caught in machinery and suffered semi-serious injuries as a result and I know the avoidance of such things is primarily a matter of awareness and being alert. When you are working in your own shop, at your own pace, this should be easy. Those working for someone else, under difficult conditions and under pressure, don't always have the luxury of taking the care they should.
A young friend recently had his coveralls wrap up around the feedshaft on the big old lathe he was running. The machine had no brake and, by the time it stopped, he was pulled in pretty tightly and his clothing had to be cut off to get him loose. Badly bruised but nothing broken and still alive though wearing nothing but shorts and boots. He had voiced concern over the unavoidable contact with moving parts on this old machine but the owner didn,t feel it was necessary to interupt production to guard the shaft. Care and awareness can only go so far. The truth is though, this is the sort of environment many work in daily. Sometimes they get bit. Regards, Bill.

Had a guy at my previous employer lose his shirt in a lathe. He had long screws hanging from his set up on the lathe dog. Snatched his work shirt plus a brand new hooters undershirt off of him. At the time my back was to him as I was watching my cnc mill. Heard this cloth ripping sound and turned around. He was shutting down the lathe....shirtless. He got a few cuts and bruises.Lucky him.Later he got fired for getting caught sleeping while the surface grinder was running...with his feet propped on it while he was sitting. When I was in Korea I recall being in the bay when it was 20 degrees out and operating my lathe with my t-shirt tucked in my BDUs.Yes I had heat ;).Safety is the MAIN word. In my 16 years of varied machining experience Ive been safe and still have my parts. :D

I wonder it they could adapt the same principle used for Tearaway football jersys to work clothes for those working around these sorts of dangers?

PS
Mom told me of a co-working getting her hair caught in a sock mill. It ripped her entire scalp off but she survived. I don't take any chances with machinery because I always remember that story.

i had a lathe accident in 2006 at work the same thing the chuck caught hold off my overalls and dragged me in, it broke my left arm, left shoulder and cut my throat.I had metal plates put in my shoulder and have had four operation since and its still not fixed. Some how i will never know how i did it i got out of i alive as i was working on my own, it ripped my clothes off my left side, so the pictures in the first thread are very real to me, and make me think how luck i am to be alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
makes me think how luck i am to be alive.

Thank the GOOD LORD!

He was watch'n out for ya Mick..!

Grusome for sure but IS GOOD FOR ALL TO KEEP IN MIND, THIS STUFF WILL KILL YOU! Think and be AWARE...Always!

cale

At an Army Depot in the mid-70s we had a worker on a lathe who was rubbing down a piece of spinning finished work with emery cloth while wearing gloves. One of the fingers of the glove got caught in the tailstock center and it ripped a finger right out by the roots with a few inches of tendon dangling off. When I approach any machinery (and welders) off comes my rings and watch. I wear short sleeves (except on the welders). I lathe turn as if I'm left handed. Once when turning with my wood lathe I had a twenty pound cylinder of wood mounted that I was roughing out and it jumped out of its centers and went whizzing by me at a high rate of speed, crossing the width of my shop before hitting the wall. If I had been turning right handed it would have hit me in the chest. I look at those pictures of machinists from fifty or a hundred years ago and note that they are wearing long sleeves and neck ties. Must have been some interesting accidents back in the old days!

This here needs a bump. Just a terrible thing to happen to anyone.

It CAN happen to YOU!

I've seen so many wrecks and stuff like that thru the years that it almost seems normal. The worst I ever saw was when a CNC lathe lost the feedback circut for the spindle drive motor (40hp), and the backup circut was faulty. The motor blew up like a MK 82 500lb. bomb! It literally blew a hole in the roof big enough to drop a full sized pickup truck in. Operator failed to pull the main when it started the run away, and took off down the asile at full speed. It cut him in half! Nobody else was hurt bad (other than their underware). Several law suits still going on over that one.
gary

My lathe is in a small well heated room. I always work in a short sleeve T shirt and never have worn any rings. The thought of getting caught in any machinery is terrible. I grew up on a farm and was around power equipment at a very early age. I was operating some power equipment from about 7 or 8. The danger of an auger, mower, baler, etc. was ingrained early and carried over to all power tools.

same here i've been around powered equipment from old enuf to push a mower to running larger tractors and choppers, bailers etc. to running manual lathes and mills, it's in my blood now and i teach my 7 yr old all about what she needs to be aware of, last thing any parent wants is to outlive their child!

Thos epics are awfull. I did not enjoy looking at them and now i wish i hadnt. Do you think he knew he was in trouble, or would it happen to fast to know much? Either way, what a terriable way to go. Lee

ALL YOUNG GIRLS should...........

wear hairnets when around ANY power equipment, even when they think they'll never NEED to.
But ESPECIALLY with a PONYTAIL, because it can make the most beautiful NOOSE you'll ever find.

It only takes once....

Don't stop on the lathes. How many people have checked under the hood of the car
with the engine running while having a neck tie. Lots of pulleys, belts, fan, etc that is
just waiting to grab it. Safety is no accident.

Cannot afford to be complacent or careless.

Ed

Back