Lapua Brass problem?

Tom Bieri

I just opened a new box of Lapua 7-08 brass and noticed a few pieces have been burnished from the annealing process at the base and head. Have any of you noticed this before? I have not seen this on any other than this box. I am not sure if it has softened the brass more than can be used or not guess I will be the first to know if it has!

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 468
Since there is a gap in the coloring, i would say two different operations.
The base is likely form cutting the extractor groove( when a tool was dull).
Send them pics and ask...not normal.

Lapua Brass

I would ask for replacement....... don`t look rite to me..........and you will always wonder about them...........
bill

Tom. Give Kevin Thomas a call at Lapua. 660-826-3232. You can send him an e-mail with pictures. His e-mail is kthomas@nammoinc.com.. He's a real good egg and he'll take care of any problem with brass that u have.

soft heads

The way they checked head hardness at L.C. was with a machine called a Rockwell that's the only place Ive seen one so send em back. Doug

Talked with Kevin Thomas

Talked with Kevin Thomas a little while ago. I send him a few pictures in an email and here is his reply:

In looking at these photos, I’m quite certain that the discolorations on these cases are the result of handling, fumes from chemicals stored nearby, or some other related cause. They’re not annealing marks, of that I’m certain. Our annealing process makes it virtually impossible for the cases to get annealed on both ends, and as you can see in the photos, the necks of the affected cases are clearly annealed. It’s often quite surprising what sort of things will cause discoloration in brass, and I’ve seen a wide variety of them over the years. Chemicals that give off fumes, even in very low concentrations, such as ammonia, acids, petroleum distillates and so on, can all cause this type of change. Not something to worry about, but I’ll be happy to send you some replacements just to set your mind at ease. For that, I just need a mailing address, and I can get them off to you before I leave for Phoenix.

I sent him contact info and he is sending me replacements. Great fellow and could not have asked for better service!

Thanks everyone for the advice and thanks Jim Pag for the contact info.

Tom Bieri

Talked with Kevin Thomas a little while ago. I send him a few pictures in an email and here is his reply:

In looking at these photos, I’m quite certain that the discolorations on these cases are the result of handling, fumes from chemicals stored nearby, or some other related cause. They’re not annealing marks, of that I’m certain. Our annealing process makes it virtually impossible for the cases to get annealed on both ends, and as you can see in the photos, the necks of the affected cases are clearly annealed. It’s often quite surprising what sort of things will cause discoloration in brass, and I’ve seen a wide variety of them over the years. Chemicals that give off fumes, even in very low concentrations, such as ammonia, acids, petroleum distillates and so on, can all cause this type of change. Not something to worry about, but I’ll be happy to send you some replacements just to set your mind at ease. For that, I just need a mailing address, and I can get them off to you before I leave for Phoenix.

I sent him contact info and he is sending me replacements. Great fellow and could not have asked for better service!

Thanks everyone for the advice and thanks Jim Pag for the contact info.

Tom Bieri
You couldn't ask for a better guy than Kevin to deal with. He'll tell it like it is, good or bad and as you found out he'll work with you until your satisfied.

Back