Ladder Test

OK I want to do a ladder test on my 200 yd. 30BR rifle. I want to start at 33 grs. and go up in .2 grs. per shoot up to 36.0, checking for over pressure each shoot after 34.6. I know that the ladder test should be done with about 20 rounds, but I will only have 15. Now I have been shooting this rifle with .005” into the lands. Should I continue to use this seating depth or go to just touching the lands? When I worked up a load for this rifle using the group test I found it liked .005” long.

john
Mims, Fl.

Someone referenced a ladder test here recently and that inspired me to try one. Hadn't done one before. I was also trying out my chronograph that interfaced with my laptop to see how that worked. I loaded 10 rounds for my 6 Beggs LV gun. Use LT-32 powder and Berger column bullets. I started at 25.6 grains of LT-32 and went up .2 grains at a time to 27.4 grains. I'm not sure what I can learn from this except that 100 yds is probably too short a distance to get meaningful results. Comments gratefully accepted.

View attachment 13767

Yes, what you learned is shooting an Audette style ladder at 100yds with an accurate rifle tells you nothing. Lets say your PPC is persnickety/fussy. When you shoot an Audette like that at 200yds with a fussy gun you know you hit the jackpot on component choice. =)
You can use Boyds idea of separate aiming points for each shot. Works well with less accurate rifles. When a ppc is happy the data is more skewed by conditions tho.

Bottom line. Shoot enough ladder tests and you'll learn a lot about things you might think unimportant.

Back