L461 chamberings need advice

Pulled bolt from my L461 which is .223rem. Boltnose rim thickness in this chambering leaves .075" to work with. OD of the bolt between lugs is .544"

PPC cases won't stack or feed out of the L461 magazine without significant modifications. I actually bought 20 norma PPC cases to see if it was do-able. Also, the gunsmiths I've talked to say opening an L461 bolt face to .445 is questionable at best.

Sako sold L461 rifles cambered for the 22PPC,i bought one brand new and have never had any feed dramas,its a great litle varmit gun that lies some where between the 223 and 22 250 velocity wise.
Personly the largest game i have shot with it is a fallow stag and a couple of goats at no more than about 150 meters.
I use a 270 for the bigger game beacause i like them to drop with 1 shot

Had mine made into a 7.62 x 39

DSCN0124.jpg

Very pleased with the performance using 125 and 150 grain Nosler BT's, and AA 1680 powder in R-P cases with the small primer pocket. Rifle will hold 5 rounds total, but is more reliable with 4.

they do the job

will those VLDs even open on a deer?? I'm asking because I don't have any experience w/them, I was under the impression they were a more heavily constructed bullet, not designed for expansion, much like the Sierra target bullets....??

I killed a deer the day after Thanksgiving at 1006 yards with a Berger 210 VLD from a 300 win mag and the VLD worked like a champ. Entry wound was normal, lungs were mush along with part of the heart and the exit wound was around 1.5 inches.

Berger would probably tell you to buy the hunting bullets but the VLD worked fine for me that day.

Back