Kroil, moly and the late Dan Hackett

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
Before seating cores this morning, the press pivot pins were relubed with a mix containing moly paste. No matter how this is done, that moly finds a way onto the skin and is just about impossible to remove. And today was no different.

As the process went on, my brain drifted to the subject of moly and pretty soon I was thinking about the late Dan Hackett and his thoughts and observations on it's use. One of the things Dan used to say was how well Kroil cleaned up the moly residue in barrels. Me not being a moly devotee, Dan used to call me up and give me all sorts of grief about this...questioning my family tree, critical thinking skills.....and generally wondering whether I had enough cerebellar function to pour pizz out of a boot. :D

This morning, sitting there looking at my moly stained fingers and thinking about Dan, I reached for the can of Kroil, dripped a bit on a cloth and rubbed it on my moly stained fingers...and watched as the moly simply lifted off the skin and onto the cloth. :eek:

To paraphrase Clark W. Griswald: I couldn't have been more surprised if I had woke up this morning and found my head sewn to the carpet! :D

Somewhere in the Great Beyond, Dan is laffin' his azz off! :cool:

Last edited:
Before seating cores this morning, the press pivot pins were relubed with a mix containing moly paste. No matter how this is done, that moly finds a way onto the skin and is just about impossible to remove. And today was no different.

As the process went on, my brain drifted to the subject of moly and pretty soon I was thinking about the late Dan Hackett and his thoughts and observations on it's use. One of the things Dan used to say was how well Kroil cleaned up the moly residue in barrels. Not being a moly devotee, Dan used to call me up and give me all sorts of grief about this...questioning my family tree, critical thinking skills.....and generally wondering whether I had enough cerebellar function to pour pizz out of a boot. :D

This morning, sitting there looking at my moly stained fingers and thinking about Dan, I reached for the can of Kroil, dripped a bit on a cloth and rubbed it on my moly stained fingers...and watched as the moly simply lifted off the skin and onto the cloth. :eek:

To paraphrase Clark W. Griswald: I couldn't have been more surprised if I had woke up this morning and found my head sewn to the carpet! :D

Somewhere in the Great Beyond, Dan is laffin' his azz off! :cool:

Qawd I miss his cantankorous, smoky carcass. I'm sure he is holding forth somewhere up there!!!!!! RIP Mr. Hackett

Al,

As a side note, I used do a lot of work with structural expoxies/adhesives (pookie) and if got on your skin, it was there until you wore it off. One day, many moons ago when the wife had johnsons baby oil for the kids, I spilled a bottle all over and in cleaning it up, the pookie that was on my hands started lifting off.. Somehow I think that the oil will get into the your and lift off what ever is clinging...

Thanks for mentioning the moly stain coming off.

Rod

Dan was fun to converse with. I used to do it from time to time on bench-talk.com chat room. Everything would be fine until I disagreed with him. He was always right...but then so was I!! :eek: RIP fellow shooter.

Bad News Chemicals?

I might be overly sensitive but I have taken to wearing latex gloves when handling any of these oils, solvents, cleaners, de-greasers, etc. Some of these can penetrate the skin and get into your blood and that can't be good. If Kroil penetrates steel, skin must not be a barrier? My belief (no, I can't prove it) is that there is a link between some chemicals and cancer, Parkinson's disease, maybe even Alzheimers.

Then, there's the chemicals we breathe. It's hard to always have adequate ventilation. I knew a gunsmith years ago who had about 2 gallons of solvent in a metal pail with a loose fitting lid. Had it there for years--his shop always smelled like solvent. He died of cancer.

My fate is probably sealed anyway--my father was a chain smoker and the house was always full of second-hand smoke for the 20 years I lived there.

I might be overly sensitive but I have taken to wearing latex gloves when handling any of these oils, solvents, cleaners, de-greasers, etc. Some of these can penetrate the skin and get into your blood and that can't be good. If Kroil penetrates steel, skin must not be a barrier? My belief (no, I can't prove it) is that there is a link between some chemicals and cancer, Parkinson's disease, maybe even Alzheimers.

Then, there's the chemicals we breathe. It's hard to always have adequate ventilation. I knew a gunsmith years ago who had about 2 gallons of solvent in a metal pail with a loose fitting lid. Had it there for years--his shop always smelled like solvent. He died of cancer.

My fate is probably sealed anyway--my father was a chain smoker and the house was always full of second-hand smoke for the 20 years I lived there.

I see people in their 80's smoking cigaretts every day - - - . If you're born to be shot you won't be hung :).

Pete Wass;613493 said:
I see people in their 80's smoking cigaretts every day.

I see a few of those too, but the reason I don't see more is a lot of smokers died in their 50s and 60s from lung cancer, heart disase and strokes--as a result of smoking!

Then, there's the chemicals we breathe. It's hard to always have adequate ventilation. I knew a gunsmith years ago who had about 2 gallons of solvent in a metal pail with a loose fitting lid. Had it there for years--his shop always smelled like solvent. He died of cancer. My fate is probably sealed anyway--my father was a chain smoker and the house was always full of second-hand smoke for the 20 years I lived there.

Vic, I live across the Mississippi(the lower intestine of the U.S.) from New Orleans. Everything that comes down the river passes thru here and is sucked into our water system. In addition, we have umteen refineries and chemical plants which dump all their garbage into the air we breath. It's known as "Cancer Alley".

Roy

Cheechako
Is Kroil the stuff that penetrates into a crack .0000000000000000000000000013245 wide?
I think it was Eddie Harren who asked Dan how they keep it in the bottle.
I turned my container upside down just to see how long that 15 cent plastic lid would contain a product that creeps into crevasses that small and a year later it is all still there.
I am not a big fan of Kroil but they sure have a good contaner.
Lynn

Back