Knife help?

Just for fun

In Iceland it is a superstition never to give anyone a knife, it is supposed to bring bad luck. So if one intends go give someone a knife one would sell it to him for 50cents or a dollar.

American made?

Of all these mentioned companys, which knives are made in America?

Case is American made.
Benchmade "Blue box" knifes are American made, "Red Box" models are made in asia. Buck I believe is mostly US assembeled but, has some brands made in Asia also. Gerber is owned by Fiskars (Dutch) and I`ve heard can be made in both the states or over seas.
Schrade I hear is out of business, and Puma is German.
If you want to "buy American" you pretty much have to read the fine print for the country of origin.

Wayne Hendrix makes an excellent knife that won't break the bank. He can make whatever you want. I like his model #3 knife. I would ask if he has any blades that punch at about 60-61 RC. 57 or 58 is a little soft for my liking with ATS-34. He is an excellent guy to deal with. I have several of his knives. http://www.hendrixknives.com/

If you go the cheap route, I consider the Buck 110 as the gold standard for an inexpensive, rugged, deer cleaning, folding knife with a fairly decent blade.

Deer Skinning Knife.

I usually clean 100-200 deer a season, deer taken by myself and club members and guset. I have owned many knives oer the last 50 years and can afforf to buy what ever I want. There have been many good knives already mentioned and I have owned most of them.

I owned a non serated version of the large Gerber Gator 4" blade and lost it. I found myself going straight to Dicks and buying another. I spent about an hour with three different (grits) diamond hones and then finish with a fine ceramic rod with a 17 degree angle. This knife is sharp enough to shave with and is only used for skinning. I am very carefull at seperating knee and hip joints not to abuse my knife. I can have a deer quartered and the back straps off in ten minutes. I use a Victornox boning and Victornox Butcher knife to cut up meat. If memory serves me correct Dicks has the Gerber 4" Gator for about $35.00. The Victornox knives cost between $50 and $150.00.

Another real good skinning knife is the CUTCO hunting knife. You can get it with a International Orange plastic handle which may help you form loosing it.
They are rather expensive, with a life time waranty.

Nat Lambeth

Some awesome knives are by Knives of Alaska. I believe it is D-2 tooling steel and will take and HOLD an excellent edge(not kidding...you can get them "shaving" sharp and they make several models. I own the "Cub Bear" and have never owned a finer knife. It runs about 55.00 or so but they have folders and fixed blades and they are seriously high quality knives.

Go to knivesofalaska.com and check them out. American made as well!

Good luck,

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using a Gerber folder with a gut hook for about 4 years now and like it. The problem with gut hooks are that even though they open up a deer like a zipper the hair gets the hook dull. I have found that a ceramic round sharpener works very well. The one that is about 1/4" in diameter and about 10" long. Other than that the only other complaint is cleaning the fat out of the hinge of the knife.

I wish I could find a cheep non folding one with a gut hook with a handle like the Gerber.

I do have another one with a "T" handle (same material as Gerber) with a gut hook which works good when using the hook, but it is not comfortable butchering. I can't remember who makes them.

gt40

PS: Try pruning loppers to cut through ANY bones you normally would use a saw. They can cut an hour off of butchering time. There is a video of a guy doing a whole deer with the guts inside in 8 minutes. If things are going right I do it in about 20 minutes with almost all the meat boned out.

If this guy used pruning loppers he could have "trimmed" 16.5 seconds off his time. ;);)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwCDB7g43_8&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:

Never turn up your nose at a well made Jap knife, ever. Some of the best you will ever find. The Japs know a little something about knives that cut flesh, and sure as heck know allot about steel. Seeing as how they have been at it for many hundreds of years.

knife help

Try looking at Marbles knifes.They are a top line knife and are priced right.

Back