Kimber 8400 Tactical .308

ap3572001

I am looking at a Kimber 8400 Tactical. 308 with factory installed McMillan stock. Look in decent shape . I dont know anything about those guns. Any information would be appreciated. Package ( rifle and scope ) priced at 2500.00 total. Scope is Leupold VX-6. 6-18 power. 30mm

I am looking at a Kimber 8400 Tactical. 308 with factory installed McMillan stock. Look in decent shape . I dont know anything about those guns. Any information would be appreciated. Package ( rifle and scope ) priced at 2500.00 total. Scope is Leupold VX-6. 6-18 power. 30mm

What's important to you in a gun?

In my case for instance ACCURACY overrides all else. The only factory action I'll currently consider is Rem700

So, what's important to you?

With today’s Kimber, I’d go for it but I’d ask for a better price. You can almost be sure you’ll need a new barrel.

Factory actions

a bit more affordable than Kimber or Cooper that shoot well, generally, are Sako and Tikka. Tikka makes a tacticool rifle. In a production gun that would be my choice. I have a Tikka T3 hunter model(light weight) that is an honest .6" rifle for 3(I haven't tried more but will at some point) in 6.5x55 SM. Good luck with whatever you get.

It’s a used gun. Do you know it’s history? Check for fire cracking in the bore/throat area. It may not need a new barrel.

I've read that Kimber barrel quality has improved. That may be true. I've had two sporter Kimbers, a .308 and a .257 Roberts, both purchased about ten years ago. Each rifle shot reasonably well, but barrels were a bit rough and copper fouled quickly. I still have the .257. I've seen enough 3/4" and even slightly smaller groups with this rifle that I'd call it accurate, but the bore needs scrubbing after about twenty-five rounds to maintain accuracy.

After breaking in the barrel

I've read that Kimber barrel quality has improved. That may be true. I've had two sporter Kimbers, a .308 and a .257 Roberts, both purchased about ten years ago. Each rifle shot reasonably well, but barrels were a bit rough and copper fouled quickly. I still have the .257. I've seen enough 3/4" and even slightly smaller groups with this rifle that I'd call it accurate, but the bore needs scrubbing after about twenty-five rounds to maintain accuracy.

on my T3 Tikka and then shooting 5 three shot groups with different bullets, the barrel cleaned very well with about 5 patches of wipe out, waiting 5 minutes between patches. The nicest factory rifle barreled rifle I own is an old 54J Schultz and Larsen in 7x61 S&H. Second place goes to a Mannlicher Schoenauer. Those barrels clean up like the best benchrest quality barrel I've ever owned. It's all about the effort put into the barrel production and methods. There is no reason, other than cost, why a 26" medium weight hunting rifle barrel can't shoot as clean(lack of copper fouling) as the best benchrest rifle barrel, if the manufacturing methods that almost always guarantee that kind of performance are adhered to.

Last edited:
on my T3 Tikka and then shooting 5 three shot groups with different bullets, the barrel cleaned very well with about 5 patches of wipe out, waiting 5 minutes between patches. The nicest factory rifle barreled rifle I own is an old 54J Schultz and Larsen in 7x61 S&H. Second place goes to a Mannlicher Schoenauer. Those barrels clean up like the best benchrest quality barrel I've ever owned. It's all about the effort put into the barrel production and methods. There is no reason, other than cost, why a 26" medium weight hunting rifle barrel can't shoot as clean(lack of copper fouling) as the best benchrest rifle barrel, if the manufacturing methods that almost always guarantee that kind of performance are adhered to.

What does this stuff all mean?

How are we helping the op?
Are you saying Kimber uses BR-Grade Match barrels?
Or that Kimber barrels "are just as good as" Match BR barrels?

Dude asserts that Kimber barrels "have improved"

You talk of Tikka's

and how an antique Schultz and Larsen is "nice"

and how 2nd best is a Mannlicher Schoenauer but that "those barrels clean up like the best benchrest barrels"

please elucidate???

Holly Molly

What does this stuff all mean?

How are we helping the op?
Are you saying Kimber uses BR-Grade Match barrels?
Or that Kimber barrels "are just as good as" Match BR barrels?

Dude asserts that Kimber barrels "have improved"

You talk of Tikka's

and how an antique Schultz and Larsen is "nice"

and how 2nd best is a Mannlicher Schoenauer but that "those barrels clean up like the best benchrest barrels"

please elucidate???

If I were a Ph.D I couldn't concoct a coherent reply to this one.

Back