Kimber 82G or Mossberg 44 U.S.

B

ballistx

I am looking at dipping my toe into benchrest shooting. Looking at the CMP site to get something to start with. Have lots of 22's (541-t, 541-HB, old mossbergs, etc.) but nothing that is kinda benchrest.

Anyone willing to impart their own thoughts on what they would do?
Thanks,

Kimber culled out the really super shooters of the government contract guns for civilian sale and called them "star grade", and charged a premimum price. The illusion being made to the old Star Gauged Springfield 30-06.
If it were me I would not do my shopping in a government surpus store.
Look at an entry level Anschutz model 64, mine shoots terrific. "Kimber of Oregon" went out of business a long time ago, and "Kimber of New York" can't be any help for parts or service.

I am looking at dipping my toe into benchrest shooting. Looking at the CMP site to get something to start with. Have lots of 22's (541-t, 541-HB, old mossbergs, etc.) but nothing that is kinda benchrest.

Anyone willing to impart their own thoughts on what they would do?
Thanks,

While all the rifles you mentioned are fun shooters, none will make real great bench rest rifle. The CMP guns are well priced. The Kimber will shoot extremely accurately, but the lack of a great trigger will hold it back. The ones I have seen and shot will outshoot a Anschutz 64.

Find a good used Anschutz Model 54 actioned gun. These will run with most competition out there. Won't probably win against the big dollar guns, but you'll learn quite a bit. Then if you want to move up you can.

Back