Karl Kenyon Trigger Help

D

doberman66

Finally broke my "new" 10 1/2 lb benchrest down and found it had a Kenyon trigger. From what I understand I'm one lucky son-of-a-gun. The action is a Remington 37. Does anyone know which of the two adjustments is for the sear and which for the pull weight?

doberman66, Hi, is your trigger curved or is it the post, I have two types of K. Kenyon triggers on .22 rifles. one is called a Kenyon light trigger and has a post instead of a curved trigger. If you want, send me your address and i will mail you a instruction sheet That came with one of my Kenyon built rifles.
Walt

PM with addresses on the way. The trigger is curved. Does the horizontal or verticle adjustment screw control pull weight? CW or CCW to reduce weight?

The early style trigger has two screws in front of the trigger the newer one has adj. screw behind the trigger. Clock wise increases weight. Counterclock reduces weight.

Thanks Walt. Mine has one screw (horizontal) above and in front of the trigger and the second (verical) behind the trigger and accessed through a hole in the back part of the action.

The screw that is located thru the receiver is for pull, in for more. The screw located in front of the trigger is for sear, in for less.

The 37 trigger is different than the other Kenyon triggers.

With the 37 you need to have a hole drilled into the bolt raceway about 1/4 inch ahead of the rear tang screw. Hopefully your 37 is so drilled. That hole is the access hole for the WOP adjustment. The screw in the trigger housing is for the sear catch.....and needs to be verrrrrrry carefully adjusted. The trigger MAY mount on the rifle without first drilling the access hole but it makes adjusting WOP a pain.

I have both types of Kenyon triggers for 37's; one with a flat blade (looks like it was made by Anschutz) and one is the early curved blade. Both triggers are exactly the same inside.

Karl sent an instruction sheet with each trigger. His cleaning instruction is to take the trigger apart (4 or 5 screws removes the side plate) but never ever remove the pins holding the guts to the other plate. Karl said to clean it with WD40. Me, I have done that but prefer lighter fluid. When you have taken the side plate off it is very easy to see just how ingenious Karls' triggers are. They are simplicity inside. What you cannot see is the different heat treatments Karl did to each little piece (the secret to his success in my opinion).

If you PM me I'll gladly e-mail you a copy of Karls' Instructions in PDF. Yes you got very lucky to find a Kenyon on your 37. I have only 2 37 Kenyon triggers and would love to have a few more. bob

Last edited:
I often wonder why someone else doesn't make copies of his triggers and why someone hasn't picked up on making some of the Canjar triggers. There are still lots of folks around looking for better triggers for the hard to fit rifles.

Karl tried to get one of his sons to carry on his tradition. It did not work out, why I don't know. Karl is now retired and living in a retirement community. At 90+ he deserves his retirement. He lost his wife, Zoe, I think last year. I will always remember my last conversation with the two of them. She was a joy to chat with on the phone. As was Karl of course.

What many don't know is the Kenyon trigger was made entirely by hand. Hack saw and files were Karls' main tools. Each mating piece of the trigger assembly was heat treated just so. Very labor intensive I'm sure. Karl once told me he spends about 8 hours per trigger. At todays labor rates imagine what one would cost. There is rumor of one company coming out with after market triggers for 37's, 52's etc. I cannot locate the URL for them just now. No doubt if they come to market we will hear about it here. bob

Last edited:
There was a copy of Karls trigger for the 40X and Anschutz made years ago across the pond and imported here. It was interesting in that it had a built in single or two stage trigger piece. At the time it cost as much as Karls and was limited as to the rifles it was available for. It was not widely advertised and not many shooters were aware of it.

As far as the current "rumor" The info I've seen mentions a number of items to include the Kenyon, we'll see.

IMO the Canjar is a horse of another color and possibly more difficult to duplicate.

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred: I have looked at the web page. Like I said I cannot locate the URL just now.....it is frustrating. The web page promised "early release of a new trigger" or words to that effect and did specifically mention the 37. It was no more than a few months ago that I saw this so don't hold your breath for "release". I'll keep searching.....I probably saved the url somewhere but my file cabinets are not the most organized in the world. Google was no help this morning. I'll post the url if/when I find it on a separate thread. Don't want to totally hijack this one. bob

Thanks guys! Thanks to Halo and Bob I have the information I was originally searching for.
HOWEVER, please keep the discussion going as there's always more to learn. Gavin

The url I was looking for is: http://hpsight.com/

I sent them an e-mail about availability of their 37 trigger. Response said it might well be 2 years before they get to making em. I'm not gonna hold my breath. bob

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see the pricing on the 52 style triggers, and if they are just rebuilt factory triggers.

Steve Emmert was thinking about duplicating the Kenyon that was optional on the 52E,Don`t know where he is at on this,but he had done a good bit already.

37 Remington Trigger

With the 37 you need to have a hole drilled into the bolt raceway about 1/4 inch ahead of the rear tang screw. Hopefully your 37 is so drilled. That hole is the access hole for the WOP adjustment. The screw in the trigger housing is for the sear catch.....and needs to be verrrrrrry carefully adjusted. The trigger MAY mount on the rifle without first drilling the access hole but it makes adjusting WOP a pain.

I have both types of Kenyon triggers for 37's; one with a flat blade (looks like it was made by Anschutz) and one is the early curved blade. Both triggers are exactly the same inside.

Karl sent an instruction sheet with each trigger. His cleaning instruction is to take the trigger apart (4 or 5 screws removes the side plate) but never ever remove the pins holding the guts to the other plate. Karl said to clean it with WD40. Me, I have done that but prefer lighter fluid. When you have taken the side plate off it is very easy to see just how ingenious Karls' triggers are. They are simplicity inside. What you cannot see is the different heat treatments Karl did to each little piece (the secret to his success in my opinion).

If you PM me I'll gladly e-mail you a copy of Karls' Instructions in PDF. Yes you got very lucky to find a Kenyon on your 37. I have only 2 37 Kenyon triggers and would love to have a few more. bob
Bob,
I may have a 37 rem kenyon trigger in mint condition if you are still interested.
Ed

Kenyon Trigger

Could you scan and post the Kenyon instructions?
I find that I have one in a Rem 37 I bought some years back from an old small-bore shooter, and am having problems with sear engagement adjustment.
Regards.

A 2010 thread? Nothing newer on the web?

No, I will not scan and post. PM me with an e-mail address and I'll be happy to forward a PDF file of Karls instruction sheet. bob

Back