Karl Kenyon Retirement

Lrobison

On behalf of Karl Kenyon, and his family I was asked to pass on to all of you that he has now officially retired and will no longer be doing any gunsmith or trigger work. Karl and his wife Zoe are both in their 90's and have decided to move to Utah to be closer to family. Karl also wishes to thank you all for your patronage & support over the years. Karl is a one of a kind true American that I had the privilege to live next door to for nearly 20 years.
Thank you all. Les Robison

Karl Kenyon is one of the nicest folks I've ever spoken with about rimfire rifles. He is a legend to all who know of his work. I sincerely hope he has a happy retirement, and enjoys spending time with his family and enjoys good health for many years to come.
I guess it's pretty plain that I like Karl. He's a gunsmith's gunsmith, if there ever was one. I wish him and his wife all the best.

Good Luck in Retirement

Hope he doesn't work harder in retirement like we have to do. Happy Retirement to Karl & Zoe.

mr. kenyon

thats just an unbelievable story.

good luck to him

bob

Karl Kenyon...A name that will live forever in Benchrest Shooting.. May Karl and Zoe have a very long and happy retirement..

Best of luck to both of you from Florida..

Dave Smith

Last edited:
Long ago . . .

I only got one trigger from Karl. Put it in a M-37 for one of our young Junior shooters. That was many years ago, That young Junior shooter is now also retired.

I consider myself very fortunate to own two of Karl's masterpieces. One is a very early 52D replacement trigger. It continues to operate flawlessly at 2 ounces. The other is a Remington 37 that Karl sleeved, installed his trigger and restocked after installing a K&M match barrel. This rifle is artwork and shoots with the best of them although the chrome on the bolt body is starting to flake off. I am fortunate indeed.

Karl deserves his retirement and we should all wish him well and give thanks for his contributions to the rim fire games.

Suggest you do as I am doing this morning. Get a Congratulations in Retirement card, write a short note and send it off to the master. He and his wife will appreciate the thoughts. bob finger

I don't know Mr. Kenyon personally but I'm very fortunate to have one of his Win 52 triggers in my Int'l Match rifle. To him I say I hope he and his wife enjoy every moment of their retirement for at least 30 more years. More power to you and your wife Mr. Kenyon. Thanks for your services.

Nice thoughts. If you want your wishes to reach Karl you either need to call him on the telephone or send snail mail. He is a joy to talk with. bob finger

Karl Kenyon

I have had the very recent pleasure to meet Karl and his wife Zoe. I asked him what he did for a living. He said "you will never believe me". I said try me. He stated that he was a gunsmith, and not just any old gunsmith, but the best there ever was! He loves to talk about what he has done over the years and is still quite an inventive fellow, even well into his 90's. Karl and Zoe are getting along well, though have slowed down considerably. After reading about him on the net I realize that I'm in the presence of greatness, according to the gun world.

Did he pass any of it on?

I have wondered if he had brought anyone along to replace himself. It would truly be a shame if his knowledge didn't survive him.

I had a nice chat with Karl just before he retired. He said he was hoping to teach one of his sons how he built triggers. I suspect that has not come to pass. I pray his trigger templates and files are in good hands for safe keeping. If not used again they belong in a museum.

Many crafts, unfortunately in our new age have left many behind us, forgotten to the ages. His heat treating skills will likely stay with him. His triggers will live on with those of us who appreciate fine hand work. His reputation will remain as long as we keep it alive. bob finger

Karl Kenyon

Besides triggers his barrel installation, action work and rifle building are legendary and will without doubt remain so.
Happy retirement Karl.

bjm

I understand

I had a nice chat with Karl just before he retired. He said he was hoping to teach one of his sons how he built triggers. I suspect that has not come to pass. I pray his trigger templates and files are in good hands for safe keeping. If not used again they belong in a museum.

Many crafts, unfortunately in our new age have left many behind us, forgotten to the ages. His heat treating skills will likely stay with him. His triggers will live on with those of us who appreciate fine hand work. His reputation will remain as long as we keep it alive. bob finger

I once worked for Walter Bradbury who was a Machinetool Rebuilder. Walter had trained under a Millwright who was a Blacksmith as well. Walter knew how to heat treat and Walter had learned it well. He tried to teach me but was not a great teacher in that everything was so easy for him he assumed it was for everyone. He played Flaminco guitar, wrote poetry and Painted. He also participated in every invasion on every island in the Pacific as well as volunteering to participate in the Korean War. He was a Marine and always a Marine. He was about 5" 4" and one of my very best friends. He passed 5 years ago denying he had lung Cancer until he no longer breathed. His crafts died with him.

Last edited:
thank you mr kenyon...

I was fortunate enough to have my 1813 rebarreled and bedded by Mr. Kenyon back in 1991. It was a work of art and enabled me to perform at a higher level.

I was fortunate enough to speak with Mr. Kenyon via telephone and also another one of his good friends before he closed the shop. During that conversation I learned that Mr. Kenyon did NOT have a milling machine in his shop. I was dumbfounded, as I had personally thought that a mill was a "must have" right up there with oxygen to inhale. He did all of his work with a drillpress, a bandsaw, a lathe, sharp files and hand tools. And that also included his triggers...all made by hand.

I thought this was simply incredible....and then I looked at the extractor cuts on the barrel that was removed and yes, the were cut with a file.

If only that creativity and craftsmanship were encountered more often...

kenyon masterpiece

Just joined the ranks of the fortunate. I just purchased an anchutz built by karl kenyon. It is a true work of art. probably built around the 80's for a friend of mine who was a master class shooter. he passed away and it went to another friend , and i just got it tonight. took it to the range and it shot just like a gun you could only dream would shoot. trigger is a dream , and this gun shoots winning scores without a tuner. thank you karl and my friends.

Kenyon Actions

Don't forget the Kenyon Action.He didn't make many and no two were a like.All very custom custom.
I talked with him at Perr once he,siad he could file a steel cube....think about that.

For you folks who knew Karl's wife Zoe, I am saddened to report that she passed away this past weekend. If anyone would like info on services please
e-mail me.

How sad to hear the news. Even more sad that they recently retired to enjoy the good life. Karl, our prayers are with you and may you find comfort in the knowledge that Zoe is in a better place. bob finger

Back