Just bought a used 30BR rifle

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
It's a Stolle-Teddy action. Supposedly "Speedy" built. The deal came with formed brass, bullets, dies, Kelbly rings and a 6PPC barrel as well. The 30BR barrel is marked 30BR .332NK. I noticed on other threads on this site that .330 neck seems to be preferred. Can I expect some issues with the larger neck?

It's a Stolle-Teddy action. Supposedly "Speedy" built. The deal came with formed brass, bullets, dies, Kelbly rings and a 6PPC barrel as well. The 30BR barrel is marked 30BR .332NK. I noticed on other threads on this site that .330 neck seems to be preferred. Can I expect some issues with the larger neck?

If it's used, no telling how many bullets have gone down that barrel. For confidence, while it's in your hands, replacing the barrel with a new .330" chamber should relieve doubts in any number of issues which might crop up. The basics and fundamentals are here: http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/30br/ :)

That was a no turn chamber experiment. Consistent thickness necks and the correct bushing will yield fine results- you just gotta remember its different in that aspect when doing load research. Other than that give it a try- if they shot it til they got sick of it then its only about halfway wore out. Give brady knight a call and get some of his superior 30 cal bullets and have fun.

just bought a used 30 br rifle

Don't be so quick to judge > try that rifle out first. Usually the 30 br will be accurate up to 5,000 rounds > some say.
The 332 neck is also ok just turn brass less. If the barrels good it will shoot just like any other rifle with a good barrel.
check out accurate shooters web site for loads and the low down on the 30Br,
I have 2 with 334 nks and both shoot just fine.

Thanks guys

Well, I had a weak moment at the gun show today. Been wanting to shoot something a little more competitive for score matches. Shot my HV 6PPC at a club match a couple of weeks ago. I shot clean but got out X'ed by 30BR's. Hopefully this rig will have enough potential. Right now it's hard to put something together as all the components are in short supply. I've got new 6BR brass but no appropriate bullets. Same thing for barrels. Well, gotta start somewhere. Got plenty of H4198. Was using that in a 6 Beggs barrel. Getting near midnight and time to go to bed. Sin City is on Starz and I'll listen to the dialog as I go to sleep.

.332 neck will not be an issue as long as brass is prepped acccordingly. Shoot it and see if it shoots, that is the only thing that really matters.

Not to Worry....

Properly loaded, you barrel will perform as well as a .330 barrel (assuming it is in otherwise good shape). :eek: Oh....and if Speedy did build this rifle, it was probably a great shooter.

virg

I've been told they the new blue box brass doesn't clean up 100% till cut for a 330. I do not know first hand having a life-time supply of gold box.

If nothing else, prep,as for,a 330 and deal with it. I did that, by accident, in the first batch of brass for my 332 neck 30 Major and did very well with it.

Bottom line: shoot it!

I've been told they the new blue box brass doesn't clean up 100% till cut for a 330. I do not know first hand having a life-time supply of gold box.

If nothing else, prep,as for,a 330 and deal with it. I did that, by accident, in the first batch of brass for my 332 neck 30 Major and did very well with it.

Bottom line: shoot it!

Well, I've got five boxes of gold box. At 74 years of age that's probably a lifetime supply for me.

This morning, I picked up the 100 pcs of formed brass, 100 bullets, sizer and seating dies, 30mm 4 screw rings and the original 6 PPC barrel. That barrel was initialed by speedy so I guess he did do the gun.

Measured the cases

Took some measurements on the cases I got with the gun. The fired brass measured .329/.330.
Resized brass measured .327. Bushing in the die is .325.
Neck thickness on prepped brass is .010. New brass is .013.

The barrel is marked .332 NK. The above measurements seem to go with a .330 neck.
Don't know if that means that the brass is from another barrel or if that's just the way it happens.

could be that person wanted to use mainstream data after realizing he had a one off neck and just went with .330 data

Reading thru this thread and then I get to this post.

Took some measurements on the cases I got with the gun. The fired brass measured .329/.330.
Resized brass measured .327. Bushing in the die is .325.
Neck thickness on prepped brass is .010. New brass is .013.

The barrel is marked .332 NK. The above measurements seem to go with a .330 neck.
Don't know if that means that the brass is from another barrel or if that's just the way it happens.
You really need to seat a bullet in one of those cases , after sizing and then ACCURATELY measure the diameter. With a MICROMETER. Bet it comes out somewhere around .329 or .330. At that point I would say it is a .332 chamber. There are a number of shooters who will turn their brass to a .002 clearance or more in 30's

David

You really need to seat a bullet in one of those cases , after sizing and then ACCURATELY measure the diameter. With a MICROMETER. Bet it comes out somewhere around .329 or .330. At that point I would say it is a .332 chamber. There are a number of shooters who will turn their brass to a .002 clearance or more in 30's

David

David, you know where I can find .30 118 gr bullets? Seriously, I got about 100 or so Conley bullets with the gun and about 38 sized and primed brass. I've got a jug of H4198 so I'll load a few and see what they do. Right now though I'm still neck turning and fire forming 6PPC brass for the next match at Raton. However I'm going out to my reloading shed as soon as I finish this post and seat one of those bullets and see what it shows. Thanks for the tip :)

David, I seated a bullet in a sized but unprimed case and it measured .330. You were right on the money. I then chambered that dummy round and it chambered and extracted just fine. So, next is to load some of those primed brass and see what kind of velocity I get.

Last edited:
Back