Jackie Schmidt

J

JohnsonGunsmith

Jackie are you still freezing scopes? If not who is doing this work and how do I contact them? Thank you for any info in advance.

I think that Bob Brackney(out of Arizona) is still freezing Leupolds. He froze 3 or 4 for me last year along with putting them in his mounts.
Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

I also understand that Jackie is no longer freezing scopes but i am lucky enough to have one that he did. It sits in a set of gene Bukys mounts. It is truly a great set up. I wish it had a bit more power but 36X is fine. I am getting ready to send it Mr Siebert to have a 1/16" dot installed to replace the 1/8" it currently has. Lee

Need More Power???

I also understand that Jackie is no longer freezing scopes but i am lucky enough to have one that he did. It sits in a set of gene Bukys mounts. It is truly a great set up. I wish it had a bit more power but 36X is fine. I am getting ready to send it Mr Siebert to have a 1/16" dot installed to replace the 1/8" it currently has. Lee

Lee,

Have you considered using Gene Davis 3x magnifier?

Last edited:
try before you buy...

I know more than one guy that had his eyebrow dinged while using the Davis Magnifier. It seems it changes the eye relief to a point that shooting a rifle in a smooth set of bags free recoil will ding your eyebrow for sure.

Paul

I have thought about it a few times but just never did. I have also heard that they can mess with eye relief. I seem to crawl up on my stocks so eye relief is a big concern of mine. I think my Leupold 45x has to little of an eye relief for my likings. Some say they are the same as a 36X but that isn't so. I have tested them side by side. My sightron big sky 36X has the best eye relief of any scope i own, and the glass isnt to shabby either!! Lee

I have one of them magnifiers but didn't like it. I bought a 45X Leup Competition and thought it was TOO MUCH! Why do people want to see thing that close and big? Doesn't make sense to me. I don't see the need for anything bigger than 36X especially shooting Group. Heck all ya need is to be able to bracket a corner of the sighter box with crosshairs and watch the flags. Simple enough, no?

Last edited:
Eyepiece Recoil Guards

try before you buy...

I know more than one guy that had his eyebrow dinged while using the Davis Magnifier. It seems it changes the eye relief to a point that shooting a rifle in a smooth set of bags free recoil will ding your eyebrow for sure.

Paul

For those that have ecountered eyebrow dings Midway sells a eyebrow recoil guard for this purpose.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=407394

Gene Davis sells a "slip on" eyepiece 3x magnifier made with soft rubber that protects the eyebrow from mishaps. :eek:

davis2ax350.jpg

davis2bx350.jpg

Last edited:
For those that have ecountered eyebrow dings Midway sells a eyebrow recoil guard for this purpose.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=407394

Gene Davis sells a "slip on" eyepiece 3x magnifier made with soft rubber that protects the eyebrow from mishaps. :eek:

davis2ax350.jpg

davis2bx350.jpg

Please tell me that's not a "Return to Battery" .22 rimfire that this fella has the rubber eye bumper in use on... Looks to me like a serious case of Chronic Gadgetitis!

QUOTE=skeetlee;602671]I have thought about it a few times but just never did. I have also heard that they can mess with eye relief. I seem to crawl up on my stocks so eye relief is a big concern of mine. I think my Leupold 45x has to little of an eye relief for my likings. Some say they are the same as a 36X but that isn't so. I have tested them side by side. My sightron big sky 36X has the best eye relief of any scope i own, and the glass isnt to shabby either!! Lee[/QUOTE]

Easy to find out. Put the scope in a fixed location in a dark room. Put a light in front of the objective and then a piece of white heavy paper behind the eyepiece. Move the white paper back and forth until the little dot of light is in best focus...the smallest diameter. Measure from the rear of eyepiece to the white paper and there is your "eye relief". --Greg

Lee,
If you really want the longest possible eye relief in a fixed power Benchrest scope, I would suggest that you talk with Wally Siebert about his boosting a Leupold 36X. I believe that in that particular case, the eye relief ends up at about 5 1/2". The reason that I know about this is that Del Bishop has several of these conversions.
Boyd

Back