Jackie Schmidt Are You Sure

Lynn

Jackie
Are you sure you guys draw benches in Texas? I just copied and pasted this from the 1,000 yard forum and while the rules say you draw benches it doesn't appear to be too widespread.

Lou Murdica
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact Send Email

Registered User Join Date:Feb 2003

I have been shooting NBRSA long range, from our first 1000 yard NATIONALS in the early 90's when I was director. I worked with Randy Dercks and his wife, Skip Talbert and Dick Thomas from Mcmillian to get 1000 yard benchrest started. We wrote the first rules. I went to the first 4 nationals because I was director. Those four years and the past three years in the afternoon after everybody had signed in, they would come out and tell
us what our bench assignments were. I have never seen any favoritism at any of the Nationals that I have been to. It has always been done somewhere private away from the shooters. I have been to almost every 100-200 yard Nationals since 1984 and have never drawn my bench or have I seen the benches drawn. I personally think it would be a logistics nightmare for the range holding it. I shoot in a match or two almost every month of the year and maybe draw a bench 3 or 4 times each year.
Since I have been shooting registered matches since 1984 I have never heard anybody complain about it until now. At 600 and 1000 yard when your bullet is15-30 feet above your head, tell me what bench matters.

most short range matches I attend, we draw benches. However, at the Nationals of either organization, drawing benches is unnessecary as we have full rotatotions. We change benches each time we go to the line. Since NBRSA shoots aggs in LR competition, maybe that would be a viable solution...

I am not sure I see where that statement from Lou indicates that benches are not drawn at short range matches in Texas. I can say that I have shot matches in Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado. The bench assignments seem to be done the same way in each state. Why is Texas Singled out in your question?
Ted

Ted
I am not singling out Texas or Texans.I heard from Jackie that you draw benches as is per the rules of the nbrsa.I then read were our regional director had posted about his 35 years in the nbrsa and how often he has seen it actually happen and it shocked me.
I wish the nbrsa would do as you Texans do and simply follow the written rules they wrote.
Lynn

Lynn
Thanks for your reply. I get what you are looking for. Maybe some clubs interpret "bench drawing" a little different than we do.

Ted
When I read the post by our regional director the first thing that came to myu mind was why are you as a regional director not assuring the members that the rules are being followed.
Lynn

Lynn, at Denton, when you sign up, you reach in a hat and draw a Bench and Relay number. At Tomball, we draw for Benches and Relay as a group, either Late Friday or early Sat Morning. At New Braunfels, when you register, you draw a Bench and Relay out of a hat. At Seymore, they draw for Benches and Relay as you sign up. At Midland, you draw for a Bench and Relay as you sign up.

What ever you draw, that is your Bench. At none of these Matches is any competitor allowed to choose his own Bench and Relay. You can choose to share a Bench with another Competitor, but you must inform the Match Director when you sign up. I have never seen a Competitor be allowed to choose a Bench next to another. He might, by the luck of the draw, do this, but that would be pure chance.

As for Rotation, Denton and Tomball rotate after each yardage. New Braunfels has on occasion rotated, other times not. Since the reconfigured the range a few years back, it is pretty Neutral. Midland and Seymore are considered "neutral", so we just stay on the same Bench all week end. .........jackie

Last edited:
so let me get this right.
there are rules
the rules are simple enough that texans can follow them,
but
for some reason or the other
people in california cannot follow them.....
is that right ??
the rules are written in english , right ??
dang i was educated in california, and i always thought they had a good school system.
guess i could be wrong.
thanks
mike in co
( i'll apologize now to all the texans....)

I am pretty sure the range at New Braunfels is neutral. I have lost from almost every bench there.
Ted

Every registered match I have shot in Texas we drew for benches.
Jackie is right for Denton. When I shot there club matches and registered matches alike we drew benches.
At New Braunfels though we only draw benches for registered matches. For club matches no we do not.

I hate to say anything bad about my home state of California but the shooters in Texas seem to be a better breed of competitor.
Lynn

I think Lou was only speaking of the nationals, or a very large match with 50 benchs and more than 3 relays. I can see how difficult it would be at these matches. trying to draw benchs when alot of the shooters only arrive the morning of the match, drawing, setting flags at the last minute and trying to get the computer set up etc. I've not ever been beaten by my bench assignment and I've been beatten ALOT!
Dave B

I don't have a clue what really happenned at that Nationals. I was simply replying to a question as to how we in the Gulf Coast Region conduct our Matches at our five Major Ranges......jackie

At the nationals, anymore, you request a flag rotation when you send in your entry along with a second or third flag rotation request if you don't get on your first choice. Then the people running their match try their best to get everyone on the flag rotation they request as a first choice. If you don't get your first choice, then you get moved to a second or third choice. Ask anyone who has shot a nationals before flag rotation, it was chaos. You might have 3 or 4 sets of flags on each line or you might not have any. It's so much nicer now. They will also work with you if you have someone that would be best to have shooting on your same bench such as a son using your equipment.

At our club matches we just go first come first serve. But I can honestly say that I have never, ever seen an altercation regarding a person not getting their favorite bench or what they consider to be their bench.
Ted

At the nationals, anymore, you request a flag rotation when you send in your entry along with a second or third flag rotation request if you don't get on your first choice. Then the people running their match try their best to get everyone on the flag rotation they request as a first choice. If you don't get your first choice, then you get moved to a second or third choice. Ask anyone who has shot a nationals before flag rotation, it was chaos. You might have 3 or 4 sets of flags on each line or you might not have any. It's so much nicer now. They will also work with you if you have someone that would be best to have shooting on your same bench such as a son using your equipment.

Mike is very right. I remember being at the supershoot when you couldn't hardly walk down to a target because there were so many flags. 4 sets on each bench wasn't uncommon. It's so nice now with the rotations. Also, having your son or in my case, wife, shooting, its very nice to keep from having to remove equipment, especially while their learning.

Hovis

Mike is very right. I remember being at the supershoot when you couldn't hardly walk down to a target because there were so many flags. 4 sets on each bench wasn't uncommon. It's so nice now with the rotations. Also, having your son or in my case, wife, shooting, its very nice to keep from having to remove equipment, especially while their learning.

Hovis

We draw for benches in the Southeast Region. Well, sometimes the computer does the drawing, which I'm not wild about, but it is random and fair non the less.

Back