Jacket Shavings When Seating??

One thing I've always done to help with brass shavings is to polish the inside of the case necks and mouths with 4-0 steel wool wrapped around a Q-tip. I picked it up from Varmint Al back when I started reloading and have always found it helps not only with consistency but with brass shavings.

Sizer ball

To answer your question about the diameter of the sizer ball, I went down to loading room and measured a couple .22 cals: 2 for 22-250 measured .223 and one for 22Hornet was .222 (as it should be).

Last edited by a moderator:
I measured up the total width of my loaded rounds at the case necks they are all right at or above .254" so take that minus .224 for the bullet and divide it by 2, I come up with .016" case neck thickness. Isn't this way too thick?? I measured up the case neck thickness on some 22-250 rounds I have loaded up and they are only .013". Is it possible that the thick case neck doesnt expand enough when I run it over the expander ball and doesnt stretch enough when I seat my bullets. I measured my expander ball and that is just a hair less than .223" I took a look at some of my cousins brass for his .220 and the case necks dont appear to be nearly as thick.

bullet shaving on seating

Swifty, two things come to mind right off. First is the bullet - I love the BlitzKings and would not change them, but they do have thin jackets to assure they really expand when hitting a critter and do not ricochet- this thin bullet jacket could cause a little of the problem.

But I think the real problem is the amount of neck tension you are having when you seat the bullets. I used to use the "conventional" dies that over sized the necks then pulled then over and expander ball to bring the interior neck size to the proper diameter. The problem with these type of dies is that the oversize and stretch the brass and depend upon the brass to have the "proper" spring to assure the correct diameter. The results were one - stretched cases; and two - improper diameter necks.

The solution I found was getting a sizing die that sizes the neck by plunging it through a neck size collet that you can change to different sizes. This allows for adjustments to assure a uniform neck tension (I use .001") and no more stretched cases. I measure the loaded neck diameter and then get a collet that is .002" smaller sizing collet as there is usually about a .001: spring-back. One thing to remember is that just because the collet says a certain size that may not really be the size.

I think that if you get one of these dies (I use Redding but there are others) in combination with a VLD chamfer tool, you will stop this problem.

George

Swifty

Pardon me for being so blunt. I think you are hung up on case wall thickness.

No matter how thick it is the inside diameter of the neck would be determined by the size of the expander ball. You said yours is a hair under .223. My opinion (worth $.02) is that it is too small. I think if you get a expander .224 you'll solve the problem. The lower angled de burring tool will also help.

Mike--

I think you are right about me being hung up on case wall thickness, I am! It just kinda bothers the hell outta me to be honest! I am not saying that anyone is wrong about the expander ball thing but I took the expander ball out of my 22-250 die which I have used for many years, and put that expander ball in my .220 dies and the same thing occurred! Now keep in mind that I have loaded 22-250 ammo with this same expander ball for years and never had the jacket shaving problem. Now my theory is somewhat similiar to what Dennis and a few others have said, and that is the case necks on this brass is so thick that the expander ball tries to stretch it out to the correct dimension but it just shrinks back down. I'm trying a different lot of brass that my buddy gave and I would just about put money on the fact that it will take care of the problem!

Whatever the solution is let us know. And good luck on finding it soon.

Swifty: Loading for and using the 220 Swift brings with it certain "problems" or conditions if I could use that term?
I currently load for 5 Rifles in caliber 220 Swift!
Seems each Swift has its preference for "conditions" that have to be dealt with.
One of the conditions you will have to deal with is brass flowing due to the sloping design of the Swift. Among other things your necks may be thickening.
You did not say if this condition happens with new brass or with used brass - or with both.
If its with new brass you are either not chamfering enough or your expander ball needs to be replaced.
If its with used brass then your brass may be flowing (especially if you are using "full bore" loads) more than "normal".
One of my Swifts gets 5 reloads to a piece of brass and I do not load "hot" for any of my Swifts!
Personally I would start with a new expander ball (they're cheap!), along with more pronounced inside neck chamfering. If these things don't work then I would buy a new set of Redding dies for your Swift.
Sell your old ones - this is another relatively easy attempt at solving this situation/condition that is relatively painless, quick and inexpensive.
Then we also have to back up and consider if this "condition" is a real problem. Do you think your accuracy is suffering because of this shaving?
I doubt it.
I have shot countless handloads that have shaved a sliver of copper off of the bullet - with no noticeable effect (bullets disintegrating in flight, loss of accuracy, excessive bore fouling etc).
Some folks think that split necks are caused by excessive inside/outside chamfering - if you are not getting split necks I suggest chamfer the inside necks, some more!
Hope this situation gets solved to your satisfaction soon!
Long live the 220 Swift!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hey guys, it took me awhile before I got around to fixing my problem but I did get it fixed! The only problem is that I changed two variables at the same time so I can't be sure which one fixed it, or both? I got a VLD chamfering tool and got a set of Lee Collet Dies and now I don't have the shaving problem anymore!

Back