J4 Jackets

trap066

Ron Jackson
I posted 8 buckets of 30 cal. 0.925 jackets in the classifieds under "everything else". They don't work in my barrels.

Wouldn't it be easier to send the barrels back to the Gunsmith and have him set them back using a "zero" freebore reamer?

I have shot 8 Ogive 118 grn bullets built on 1.000 length jackets, and you just about need a zero freebore, as they stick further out than a 112 grn built on .925 jackets.

I guess my question is, did you want a longer freebore?

Wouldn't it be easier to send the barrels back to the Gunsmith and have him set them back using a "zero" freebore reamer?

I have shot 8 Ogive 118 grn bullets built on 1.000 length jackets, and you just about need a zero freebore, as they stick further out than a 112 grn built on .925 jackets.

I guess my question is, did you want a longer freebore?

I didn't worry about the freebore as it didn't seen to be that much. Of course reamers are not all the same. The main problem is the ogive. I purchased these dies from a fellow shooter. We compared the bullet seating depth on the .925 jackets at a match after I made some and he had very little bullet in the neck as well. They shot well but you could pull the bullet by hand.

I went to one inch and they are seating deep enough. I won a 300 yard match couple weeks ago and place 3rd in the GA at the UBR nationals last week with the one inch jackets. Selling the .925s to get some more one inch.

I did shoot some .925's in another barrel with 0 freebore but there still was very little bullet in the neck. They did shoot pretty well though. The person I bought the dies from has won with the .925's barely seated. I just prefer the one inch.

Back