J Tech or J Tex

Melonite vs Tennifer. If you do a Google search under this title yo will come upon a link for a discussion of the two on pistol slides. I called and talked with the people at Burlington that do the Melonite process and the QPQ treatment can be done to 416R. It leaves a black coating on the surface.

Melonite is the same process as Tennifer, just different trade names.

I'm not sure if this is the same as what J-tex does, I'm unable to get them to answer their phone, at either location.

The only possible draw back is the temperature range the coating is done at 900 to 1050 degrees. I do not know if this would be a problem. The only sure way to know would be to call the Crucible Steel service center and find out.

Reading that old posting from Speedy about the color of the finish, leaves me with doubts about this being the same treatment?

jtech or jtex

Speedy knows where they are. he's at Trinidad college in Colorado.
you should be able to get in touch i don't have his email sorry

J Tex and Melonite is not the same. I talked to Quartersnatcher and if he has time he will comment on the process. He is aware of your concerns Big Al.
Butch

Burlington enginerring webb site has all information about Melonite process. I have been experimenting with this barrel treatment for about 5 years now and have altered normal Melonite process paramenters for the treatment for 416 ss and chrome molly, still in R&D phase two.

With work demands and travel for the last two years I have placed this project on the back burner for now.

Burlington offers Melonite process to the public.

Regards,
Joel Kendrick

Do you find an objection to the temperature of the process? I talked to the people in Orange Ca. would there be a tech up on the mods you suggest there that knows about your work with the Melonite process?

I would not ask, but there seems to be a couple of pluses to this process. I read the information on their web-site and only object to the temperature. That is the only downside I see, but ignorance is bliss!.:eek:

Big Al

I don't think that anyone has the information of my process variables, it has a been work in process for the last 5 years developing this treatment that is not 100% complete at this point, I do not have enough data to date to say yes or no.

Joel Kendrick

I have had it done to some of my barrels. I,m no guru on it but all I know is that they are my best barrels, hardly foul, very accurate, quick to clean. These are a different make barrel (Lilja) to my others so this could be something to do with it.
One thing I can help with is that when I tried last month to get my latest barrel done, I found out that they (Gladewater branch) had sold there CSC gear to S&J technology. (www.sjwear.com). They call it the metalec process. Unlike J-Tex who would treat one barrel for you, S&J wear will only do $250 minimum orders for $125 a barrel.
I would like to contact the other T-Tex to see if they will do individual barrels for the price they used to charge.

there is another company out there called "Superior Barrels" (superiorbarrels.com) that apparently have a treatment that greatly extends barrel life without hurting accuracy. One of the guys is a former rocket scientist. They mostly use it on AR15 barrels but can probably do any barrel as long as it hasn't been fired. I havn't heard any feedback from people using this though so I don't know if it really works or not.

Back