Isabella County Sportsman's Club's White Grass!

pikedrop

It has been balmy these past few weeks (which is abnormal for Michigan weather). However, this past week has seen the temperatures dive and we experienced one heck of a sleet storm dumping up to 6 inches of sleet in some areas (like the Isabella County Sportsman's Club). There are a couple of us that just can't stay away from the benchrest range.

Steve, John, and I have been shooting 100 and 200 yards since the last match was fired back in September. We load and clean our guns in a heated building behind the range. And when we have enough rounds loaded, and have discussed our strategy, we head over to the benches to shoot our groups. The last time we were out, the wind was from the WSW 10-20 and there was light snow falling. The temperature was 26 degrees F. The reason I bring up the conditions is that it was interesting to view the snow flakes as they were moving through the air down range. It was the best way to observe how the air was moving over the berm. The most interesting movement of the snow flakes was at 50 yards from bench #1. They would start to fall down just a little past the berm then all of a sudden they would rise and then fall to the ground between benches #7 and #10. Too, the flags were even picking up the updraft which coincided with the direction of the snow flakes.

Steve and I usually get out to the range at least once a week to try powders and bullets. The attached photos are from our last practice. Note the 'white grass' that is growing throughout the entire range!

Just the messenger boy.....

Matt
Looking at the Firing Line
20160101_112546.jpg
A View Downrange
20160101_112559.jpg
John setting flags
20160101_112618.jpg
Steve Robbins Touching One Off
20160101_141751.jpg
Steve Touching Another Off
20160101_141818.jpg

I hope you guys stay busy wearing out your 30 cal barrels all winter long. Maybe I'll see you guys later when I come out of hibernation and chase the spiders out of the ppc at the score shoots this year.
John VM

Back