Is This True About The .204?

G

gt40

I just read this on another forum and would like to know from you .204 shooters if this guy is correct.

"More recently, Ruger introduced the .204 Ruger cartridge for varmint hunting with a 1:12" twist. Again lack of testing prior to manufacturing and marketing of a product has placed thousands of guns on retailers shelves that will not shoot the most efficient weights of bullets for the caliber. This time the twist is too slow. Experience has proven that a 1:10" twist is a much more versatile and accurate twist for the cartridge."

"Aim small miss small",

gt40

I would say it's BS. He's qualifying his contention on "the most efficient".
The intended use of this round is long range varminting and it does so extremely well with bullets from 30 -40 gr..
It is so successful that I have not heard of a single detractor of the 204 (as a cartridge) on any forum. There have been issues with individual firearms , but it was not caliber specific.

I have a Rem. 700 in the light varmit, shoots 40gr. Vmax great, my faorite of my little guns..............Gary

12 twist 20s

My 12 twist 20 VT & 20 PT both shoot 39-40s just fine !

gt

This writer is probably figuring that sooner or later, the public will demand longer, higher VLD style bullets for the 204, since this has been the trend in other calibers whose primary use is for long range Varminting.
If longer, high BC bullets in the 50+ grn range become available, a 1-10 would probably be needed..........jackie

I think the 50 gr. bergers require a 1:9 twist. I use a 1:11 twist for the 40 gr. bergers and experience great accuracy from my pacnor barrel. There have been some reports of the 1:12 twist not stabilizing some of the 40s but working fine with the 39s. It must be on the ragged edge of fast enough so I went with the 1:11 on mine.

I've shot probably 10k 39 gr and 40 gr bullets in 1:12" .204s with excellent results. So far, 2 of my 3 .204s have shot 39 gr SBKs better than 32s...the third rifle hasn't had any 32s fed to it yet! I don't think its an issue.

Back