Is there Such a Thing as a Good Lower Priced Scope ?

mrh1958

See a lot of posts about this subject on the various shooting forums, I kinda like Leupold myself, is there such a thing as a good lower priced scope for rimfire? fixed or variable that tracks well and holds POI ?

See a lot of posts about this subject on the various shooting forums, I kinda like Leupold myself, is there such a thing as a good lower priced scope for rimfire? fixed or variable that tracks well and holds POI ?

I think the Muller scopes give great bang for the buck. I own several and they are quite good. Not top of the line mind you, but VERY good considering the price.

A Weaver T36 is probably the best bang/buck for a higher powered scope. Quite a few guys use them for BR.

Whatever

moderately priced scope you end up buying buy one from a company with a good warranty and that you think will be around for a few years.

Tasco Japan

The old Tasco Japan 36x scopes were good. Sometimes you can find one at bargain prices.
Don't like current or anything but Japan made personally.
Warranty gone but ABO in Florida used to repair reasonable.
Sightron 36 good but dot small.
I've been up from bottom myself.
Gave up got Nightforce 12X42.

personally i stick to fixed power units, t or ct series weaver and sightron have both , I saw a note dot too small on sightron - matter of personal choice in that. I like very small dot. Between the 2 i prefer the sightrons . Course your wording as to price depends on what the high and low parameters are. I have some high magnification ( bumped up) lou's also nothing wrong there but the pricing is higher than the w or s. Not familiar with a lot of the newer names on the market- Mueller, Vortex and such.

I think the answer to the original question is, it depends. Are you asking specifically about rimfire benchrest? What constitutes low priced? Some folks would say anything under a grand is low priced. Some would say under $400.

The lower the cost, the more quality is luck of the draw. Some folks are happy with a 36 power Barska. Some folks hate them. I think it's because the quality is so variable. A cheap scope can sometimes be bright and crisp, and some will track well. If you want to be sure of those things however, you've got to spend some bucks. Would you rather spend a grand once or $300 three times trying to get a good one?

Recoils is a factor too. A cheaper scope is more apt to break under heavy recoil. I have two Osprey 10-40 power scopes (no longer made) that cost about $150 apiece. They are wonderful on rimfires. I'm not sure I'd trust them on hard kickers, however. They were advertised as "assembled in China using American epoxy". Somehow that is not completely reassuring.

I have been consistently happy with Simmons scopes on numerous rimfires and some deer and varmint rifles.

Lets say under or around the 300.00 mark, rimfire only scope

Not sure if it was ever clarified as to the actual usage but if your talking benchrest shooting in general I'd look for either the
Weaver 36X T-Series, or the Sightron 36X. The prices have been increasing in the used market for them, but if you keep on the look out can find around the 300 dollar mark. As mentioned I've always heard good things about the old Japanese Tasco's but you don't see them often, or at least in the for sale listings I look through.

What I can tell you I'm down to my last Weaver 36X that I shoot on a regular basis and the plans are to replace it over the winter to a higher dollar unit. As one gets older there's no doubt the eyes just like more power plus brighter and clearer glass.

Les

The old Tasco Japan 36x scopes were good. Sometimes you can find one at bargain prices.
Don't like current or anything but Japan made personally.
Warranty gone but ABO in Florida used to repair reasonable.
Sightron 36 good but dot small.
I've been up from bottom myself.
Gave up got Nightforce 12X42.

Have two BSA (JAPANS) that I could let go-NIB-24xand a 36x. Dots are larger than Leupolds and Weaver T models. Much better than Chinese.

Sightron

Is the best choice for the money very clear, holds point of aim, perfect size dot for what you want to do with it.
Good Luck!I

Meuller 8x32

I put a Meuller 8x32 on my rimfire bench gun 3 weeks ago, and it is great so far. It returns to "0" after cranking in 6 MOA at 100 yds. The glass is more then clear enough. I would get the target dot reticle version as mine has the mildot and it is a little too big for tiny dot targets, but that is splitting hares :) I shimmed it with 0.015" feeler gauge because my setup used some of the elevation just to get to zero. I picked it up at Optics Planet for a shade over $200 with shipping included. I will buy another in a minute!

Have fun,
Gerry

The price dictates a Weaver 36X if you wait and watch.

Wilbur is right as usual. I have two I purchased new. One black and the other silver. The silver one was put on and zeroed for my LV shooting and removed, as it was for a back up. Never had to use it for that, and put it back in the box ( along with the Arnold jewel rings which are still on it) and never used it again. It has perhaps 2 hours on it from NIB and I am on the way out of Group shooting, so there you have it gentlemen.
As the boys above said, for the money, you can't beat a T-36.

Back